LegoZone Power
Welcome to the island of Elzeep, a LEGO fan forum created by Pikmin0207! Please login or register to post messages. Nardeeps laugh

CHEEEEEEEEEEESE! Cheezy Grin

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Post by Dalu on Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:40 pm

Andy:
  What do you mean by shipping? Do you mean killing off?
Dalu
THE GLITTERING MODERATOR

Location : In a classroom with other brain-fried med students...
Lego ID : Dalu50

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomEncounter on Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:47 pm

No, I mean the popular theory is that they're going to be a romantic couple. Razz 

C'mon, Leg, keep up. xD
RandomEncounter
This Rank Is Better Than Yours

Lego ID : You can probably guess.
Humor : "Please enjoy the annual Aegis Tower Fireworks, Explosives, and Concussive Blasts display. Remember, do not, at any point, no matter how aggressive the display, declare any point in the display, "The Finale," as Aegis Tower will likely take this as a challenge." --SAYER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Not Em on Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:51 pm

I'm pretty sure they're 90% joking. Poe and Finn were pure bromance charisma.

Resident CanuckMadman

Location : I still remember all the glittering lights on Corsucant. Very pretty. Can we go back there, master?
Lego ID : HK-47
Humor : Commentary: I mean... nice human, goo-oood human...

View user profile http://Eurobricks, LEGO, Brickset... so on, so forth...

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalu on Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:57 pm

They'd better be joking...

I was under the impression that Finn and Rey had a little something going, and that Po and Finn were bro-connection, man.

Don't freak me out unless you're certain I have good reason to freak. Razz LOL

Last edited by Dalu on Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dalu
THE GLITTERING MODERATOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roddy15 on Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:02 pm

Dalu wrote:They'd better be joking...

I was under the impression that Finn and Rey had a little something going, and that Po and Finn were bro-connection, man.
Why have we all a problem now with progressive, modern views of relationships too? I don't see such a thing happening though to be honest. Star Wars movies have never really focused on the love stories that much.
Roddy15
Officially Elzeep
Officially Elzeep

View user profile http://www.elitelygamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Not Em on Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:04 pm

Honestly, I'd rather no one hook up. We have a solid cast, there shouldn't be needless romance plots incorporated for no reason. Just once I'd like to see a sucessfull franchise that stands without feeling the need to go 'ooh! romance plot'.

Resident CanuckMadman

Location : I still remember all the glittering lights on Corsucant. Very pretty. Can we go back there, master?
Lego ID : HK-47
Humor : Commentary: I mean... nice human, goo-oood human...

View user profile http://Eurobricks, LEGO, Brickset... so on, so forth...

Back to top Go down

Post by The Cracken on Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:00 am

Merged the two Force Awakens review topics. *ducks out to avoid spoilers*

~Crax

[23:24:10] @ Em : I'd be the man, but I look stellar in an apron.

Queen of Bunnies wrote:Crackers is the center of a twinkie reality. Razz
The Cracken
Teletubby Admin
Teletubby Admin

Lego ID : crackers5
Humor : Anything is possible when you smell like Emjajoas and not a lady. I'm on Elzeep.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomEncounter on Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:42 am

I saw Finn and Rey as a very Han-and-Leia-like romance; not in your face, but the banter and teasing was there. I'm hoping they continue that in very Solo-like fashion, and hopefully Finn doesn't turn out to be Rey's brother. Razz
RandomEncounter

Humor : "Please enjoy the annual Aegis Tower Fireworks, Explosives, and Concussive Blasts display. Remember, do not, at any point, no matter how aggressive the display, declare any point in the display, "The Finale," as Aegis Tower will likely take this as a challenge." --SAYER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Cuddles on Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:25 pm

Roddy15 wrote:Why have we all a problem now with progressive, modern views of relationships too?

No-one said that's why, I think we all agree it would be bad from a plot point of view, its unnecessary and would imo drag down how good the movie will be. And totally agree with Leg, I'd love it if there's no big romance!

"I can do all things through Christ, who gives me strength"

I do not belong in a world of broken pieces
I was meant to be in the arms of Your redemption
I am moving on to the place of Your perfection
Cause I do not belong

This world is not my home
I'm a stranger in this land
But I am not alone
When I do not belong

"True friendship is like sound health, the true value of it is not known until it is lost." - LM, you will be sorely missed.

No matter where you are, or what you are going through, you are never truly alone.
Dr Cuddles
Evil Hamster Dictator Intern

Lego ID : Sheikh Me Handy
Humor : I really like Windmills. I'm a huge fan.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalu on Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:22 pm

Everyone knows me.

No distracting romance FTW. LOL!

*Crying Rainbows* *Crying Rainbows* *Crying Rainbows* *Crying Rainbows*

I also appreciated the very mild, mild relationship between Finn and Rey. It was almost more of a friendship instead of a romance.
Dalu
THE GLITTERING MODERATOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor Who on Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:25 pm

this is a spoiler:

I haven't read every line from all the previous posts, so this may be a little redundant, but in any case... Razz

I pretty much agree with AA about the whole copy and paste thing. Overall I couldn't stand the movie. I thought it was an attempt to mix the more childish feel of Guardians of the Galaxy into a movie series that is very different. If this is Star Wars for a new generation, count me out. Razz

Kylo Ren was such a terrible character. Just straight up. XD What kind of unintelligent idiot would worship Vader for being bad after he died turning back to the side of good? ROFL! He was like an emo teenage girl with a major inferiority complex. 

Killing Han Solo is completely not okay with me because it was done so poorly. I could accept that sort of plot development if they had tried harder, but it was like J.K. Rowling just killing off Hedwig because she could.

I understand that the force is supposed to be "awakening," but Rey got her powers wayyyy too fast. XD It was a major challenge for Luke - he had training, lost his hand, had a much more organic growth process...Rey was like, boom, yeah, the force, whooo...magic. No. XD

I liked the part in the beginning where Kylo Ren stopped the blaster bolt with the Force. There were little moments like that which could have been part of a real movie, but weren't, and so even they couldn't save it.

I thought finding Luke after they had the map could have been a whole movie on its own, but that's not a major point for me.

Why were there only X-wings? What happened to all the other fighter types of the Rebellion?

Kylo Ren's training was terrible if Finn can hold him off with a clone weapon...

Han Solo's continual taking of Chewy's weapon annoyed me. It was totally out of character for him.

The old Mos Eisley Cantina band was way better than the attempt at another similar band that they had in this movie.

Female storm trooper? Really? When you're designing a clone army, you want males, because they're naturally biologically stronger. *doesn't make comments about modern feminists*

The "new Death Star" was destroyed way too easily, and they basically copied generous portions of the old films in a not-so-impressive way. Apparently what is plagiarism in college is creativity for Disney. Razz

I'll stop here, except to say that I will not watch their sequels which are supposed to come out every year. Quality, not quantity. Disney was never the right company to do a new Star Wars film, and I generally believed that from the start, but I really wanted it to be good when I went into the movie. I walked out of the theatre in a state of shock and wasn't able to talk at first for a bit because I couldn't believe what I had just seen.

The TARDIS  
Doctor Who
TOATUBBY
TOATUBBY

Lego ID : Takanuva101411
Humor : I tried to catch some fog. I mist.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomEncounter on Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:31 pm

I'm not going to try and change Tak's mind, because some people just don't like a movie and that's fine, but I did hear an interesting explanation for Rey's powers increasing so quickly. The emphasis in the original movies was all about the BALANCE of the Force-- the Dark Side was able to wipe out all the Jedi because there were a ton of Jedi and only one or two Sith, so the Sith were way more powerful because the force was balanced. Now that Yoda (a super powerful Jedi) is gone, and there's at least one dark side user running around who's at least pretty powerful, it makes sense that the Force would rush into Rey and she would get stronger way faster than Luke, who had to deal with the fact that Obi-Wan and Yoda were still around bringing a little more balance. I'm not saying this is a foolproof theory, but I think it's at least interesting to think about. Also the fact that Rey fails at everything she tries with the Force at least once the first time, which just makes her a fast learner.
RandomEncounter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariklego on Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:34 am

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Law_of_Conservation_of_Ninjutsu (I couldn't resist posting that Razz)

Your explanation makes sense Supe, except I think I've heard (I'd have to look it up somewhere, probably Wookieepedia, to be sure) that, at least in the Prequels, the whole "Balance of the Force" actually sort of referred to "only the Light Side" in some way. Like, as if balance is considered to be the absence of evil, maybe under the assumption that the Dark Side exists as some sort of imbalance rather than a "yin-yang" type thing that must always exist and equally counteracts the Light Side.

...Just my understanding of it. Razz Though I think it actually was considered G-canon (which of course means very little, since TFA could've scrapped that idea).
Ariklego
Slightly Weird
Slightly Weird

Lego ID : ariklego
Humor : The majority of fruit species have comparable aerodynamic properties to the genus Musa when hurled or otherwise propelled through a standard earth-like atmosphere. Buzz buzz.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roddy15 on Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:59 am

Again with the female storm troopers, it was just one. Who pretty much seemed more like a bounty hunter. Let's not forget storm troopers are not clone troopers. If Star Trek can encourage the idea of equal rights no matter who you are then so should Star Wars, those should always be disconnected from the faults our society has like the inability to think a female can be an excellent solider.
Roddy15
Officially Elzeep
Officially Elzeep

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomEncounter on Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:12 pm

Well let's not get ahead of ourselves, Roddy. First we have to actually see Phasma be anything other than a lame pushover who pretends to be tough and doesn't actually do anything cool, and THEN we'll talk about whether females can be soldiers. That was a pretty disappointing character. Razz
RandomEncounter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roddy15 on Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:47 pm

Professor Genki wrote:Well let's not get ahead of ourselves, Roddy. First we have to actually see Phasma be anything other than a lame pushover who pretends to be tough and doesn't actually do anything cool, and THEN we'll talk about whether females can be soldiers. That was a pretty disappointing character. Razz

Phasma was no doubt a weak character but if this is how people react to any female in a role normally consider a male position it's a bit silly really. Phasma was a weak character but if a male was in the same role they wouldn't be any better. I mean she hardly had any lines at all and the only action she took was to go against her side in order to save herself.

We should criticise the character, male or female makes zero difference.
Roddy15
Officially Elzeep
Officially Elzeep

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomEncounter on Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:07 pm

I wasn't saying it was because she was female, I was just saying it doesn't matter whether or not it was a female soldier, because the character was lame and anticlimactic. Razz 

We've had the discussion on male vs female stormtroopers, I think. I don't really care-- yes, men make better soldiers as a generality, but there are exceptions where a woman can be just as good, and since Phasma is one character, I don't think there's really a problem here. If the Empire had started recruiting ONLY female soldiers, or had an entire battalion of them, that would be a strange and nonsensical move.

It would also not work at all, because you can barely have THREE females in a room without them passive-aggressively tearing each other to pieces, let alone an entire army. Razz
RandomEncounter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariklego on Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:54 pm

I don't know if this holds true for TFA and any other new material, but it at least used to be that (especially in the EU) the Empire was very strongly against women or non-humans, and had a policy of rarely if ever recruiting them. Female or non-human stormtroopers and high-ranking officers so rare that they were nearly non-existent.
By contrast, the Rebel Alliance was very accepting of female troops, pilots, officers, you name it. It was one of the things that made them distinct from the evil oppressive Empire, really.

Anyway, point being, the Empire presumably isn't in the habit of recruiting women as Stormtroopers, which to me at least makes good sense regardless of a person's real-world beliefs on the issue. After all, the Empire is evil. So, arguably, women's rights activists is the last thing the Imperials should be. Razz (The only spin on it I can think of that would come from the opposite mindset is that maybe the Empire forcefully recruits women to be troops to fill up their ranks)

So as for Phasma, and I assume this is what Supe was getting at, sure, it's fine to have a female Stormtrooper. But if she got to the high-up position she's in, she probably had a LOT of opposition within the Empire to her advancement. ...Which means that if she's where she's at, it's because she's an amazing soldier.

...Which means, the scene where she's held hostage is extremely out of character for her. At minimum, she should be bravely sacrificing herself for the Empire by activating an alarm or something instead of sabotaging the Starkiller Station to save her own skin. Even better, she should spin around, grab Finn's weapon, and single-handedly wipe the floor with the heroes, while also alerting the Imps to their presence and calling in reinforcement.

So the fact that she did what she did makes her probably the lamest, most out-of-character character in the whole movie. Razz

Now, since you brought it up, I'll take a second to give my humble opinion on the matter of real-life female soldiers.

First and foremost, can I remind you that it's a scientifically-proven fact that men are (on average) stronger and better-built than women. We also are much better at handling stressful combat situations, and take much longer to be mentally-affected by that stress.
And this has been shown again and again by scientific tests, not to mention countless experiments by multiple militaries to see how well women do in military situations and training. For that matter, I'm really not so sure why it isn't common sense, since as a rule the vast majority of men are more physically-adept in the civilian world, regardless of how athletic they are, how much exercise they get, or what their diet is. And are there women who are physically capable of handling it? Certainly. But they're the exception, not the rule, and even then I'd partly attribute it to the fact that so many men today are nerdy or lazy unathletic wimps (myself included, by the way).

Now, does that mean I'm completely opposed to it? Definitely not. If a woman is willing to fight and die for her country, more power to her. I think she's either brave or stupid because of it, but the same could be said of men. And if I can, I want to shield and protect women from the sick horrors of war, but again, I don't want men to be in that either if possible.

The only reason (though it's an important one) I would have for refusing to even allow women to join the military is if they're putting others at risk. But this is a significant issue and I think it's overlooked way too often.
Military units, like infantry squads or special forces teams, are a well-disciplined, close-knit unit, and they all depend on each other for success and survival. If letting women become combat soldiers means putting the lives of all the other soldiers at risk because those women can't keep up and become the weakest link in the chain, then no, I don't think they should be allowed to join.

Having said all this, there are actually roles that women do well in. As a general rule, if women lack some physical trait that men have, they make up for it with something else, and sometimes those traits make them better than men at a couple military roles. To give a quick example, they make good snipers. Women have better long-term endurance and a steadier hand, and usually outperform men at sharpshooting. If I recall correctly, Russia, during WWII, actually used women snipers extensively, and they did an excellent job.

...Anyway, I think that's the end of my rambling.
Ariklego
Slightly Weird
Slightly Weird

Humor : The majority of fruit species have comparable aerodynamic properties to the genus Musa when hurled or otherwise propelled through a standard earth-like atmosphere. Buzz buzz.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor Who on Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:56 am

Professor Genki wrote:I'm not going to try and change Tak's mind, because some people just don't like a movie and that's fine, but I did hear an interesting explanation for Rey's powers increasing so quickly. The emphasis in the original movies was all about the BALANCE of the Force-- the Dark Side was able to wipe out all the Jedi because there were a ton of Jedi and only one or two Sith, so the Sith were way more powerful because the force was balanced. Now that Yoda (a super powerful Jedi) is gone, and there's at least one dark side user running around who's at least pretty powerful, it makes sense that the Force would rush into Rey and she would get stronger way faster than Luke, who had to deal with the fact that Obi-Wan and Yoda were still around bringing a little more balance. I'm not saying this is a foolproof theory, but I think it's at least interesting to think about. Also the fact that Rey fails at everything she tries with the Force at least once the first time, which just makes her a fast learner.

Hmm, I'll have to think about the balance idea. I haven't heard that one before. But the Force rushing into Rey makes it sound like a person. Razz

The TARDIS  
Doctor Who
TOATUBBY
TOATUBBY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariklego on Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:58 am

Or, maybe because there were so few Force-users left, the Force just got bored and was eager to finally do something? Razz
Ariklego
Slightly Weird
Slightly Weird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomEncounter on Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:37 pm

Well the Force could certainly be personified. I need to go back and rewatch the movies so I can properly separate in my mind what the original movies said about the Force from the garbage the other movies said. Razz
RandomEncounter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor Who on Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:48 pm

^ Yeah, same Razz

The TARDIS  
Doctor Who
TOATUBBY
TOATUBBY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalu on Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:09 pm

Arik wrote:Now, since you brought it up, I'll take a second to give my humble opinion on the matter of real-life female soldiers.

First and foremost, can I remind you that it's a scientifically-proven fact that men are (on average) stronger and better-built than women. We also are much better at handling stressful combat situations, and take much longer to be mentally-affected by that stress.
And this has been shown again and again by scientific tests, not to mention countless experiments by multiple militaries to see how well women do in military situations and training. For that matter, I'm really not so sure why it isn't common sense, since as a rule the vast majority of men are more physically-adept in the civilian world, regardless of how athletic they are, how much exercise they get, or what their diet is. And are there women who are physically capable of handling it? Certainly. But they're the exception, not the rule, and even then I'd partly attribute it to the fact that so many men today are nerdy or lazy unathletic wimps (myself included, by the way).

Now, does that mean I'm completely opposed to it? Definitely not. If a woman is willing to fight and die for her country, more power to her. I think she's either brave or stupid because of it, but the same could be said of men. And if I can, I want to shield and protect women from the sick horrors of war, but again, I don't want men to be in that either if possible.

The only reason (though it's an important one) I would have for refusing to even allow women to join the military is if they're putting others at risk. But this is a significant issue and I think it's overlooked way too often.
Military units, like infantry squads or special forces teams, are a well-disciplined, close-knit unit, and they all depend on each other for success and survival. If letting women become combat soldiers means putting the lives of all the other soldiers at risk because those women can't keep up and become the weakest link in the chain, then no, I don't think they should be allowed to join.

Having said all this, there are actually roles that women do well in. As a general rule, if women lack some physical trait that men have, they make up for it with something else, and sometimes those traits make them better than men at a couple military roles. To give a quick example, they make good snipers. Women have better long-term endurance and a steadier hand, and usually outperform men at sharpshooting. If I recall correctly, Russia, during WWII, actually used women snipers extensively, and they did an excellent job.

...Anyway, I think that's the end of my rambling.

^^^Arik, that was the best post on women in war I've ever seen. BRAVO!!!

People need to understand and appreciate the unique gifts God's given to women, instead of trying to pretend women can do things just like men (because we can't, people!).  
That statement works both ways, btw. Razz

Andy,
Once you've refreshed yourself on the Force, be a good chap and tell us your findings, eh? Very Happy
Dalu
THE GLITTERING MODERATOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roddy15 on Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:19 pm

Anyway, since a lot of people (not sure how many here) have brought up complaints that TFA is too similar to the original trilogy Abrams recently replied to those complaints:

"The weird thing about that movie is that it had been so long since the last one. Obviously the prequels had existed in between and we wanted to, sort of, reclaim the story. So we very consciously - and I know it is derided for this - we very consciously tried to borrow familiar beats so the rest of the movie could hang on something that we knew was Star Wars."
Roddy15
Officially Elzeep
Officially Elzeep

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomEncounter on Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:31 pm

^ That's exactly what I thought about it, tbh. I didn't get the impression that it was copying, I got the idea that they wanted to go back to the originals, and so this first movie was not quite a remake, but definitely a reintroduction into the new generation of SW.
RandomEncounter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top