LegoZone Power
Welcome to the island of Elzeep, a LEGO fan forum created by Pikmin0207! Please login or register to post messages. Nardeeps laugh

CHEEEEEEEEEEESE! Cheezy Grin

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Post by RandomEncounter on Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:29 am

This is a topic where you post all your spoilers from Episode VII.

I will arrange with Pik to ban anyone who posts in this topic, ever.

But feel free to share! Very Happy
RandomEncounter
This Rank Is Better Than Yours

Lego ID : You can probably guess.
Humor : "Please enjoy the annual Aegis Tower Fireworks, Explosives, and Concussive Blasts display. Remember, do not, at any point, no matter how aggressive the display, declare any point in the display, "The Finale," as Aegis Tower will likely take this as a challenge." --SAYER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens Reviews

Post by KaijuToonamiGuy on Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:05 pm

This is an official topic for what everyone on Elzeep think of Star Wars The Force Awakens.

My reviews are full of spoilers so do not read unless you have seen the film.

Spoiler:

Pros:
Very unique storyline. It explains why Luke Skywalker was not in the trailer. Luke was featured at the ending of the film. It was a really terrible tragedy for Han Solo when his son Kylo Ren kills him. Final duel was epic and so was the starship battle. The Imperials even built a weapon inside a planet which I thought was even scarier than the Death Star from the earlier films.

Cons:
Kylo Ren acts like a total child. The story did not really explain yet of who Fey was. Maybe we ought to wait until the next episode.

My overall scale from one to ten of this movie...

9/10

KaijuToonamiGuy
Insane & Alive

Lego ID : Shulk1991
Humor : Bazinga!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Post by TaeIsTheMostAttractive on Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:41 pm

^^Already a topic with spoilers Razz 

Just dig deep in the forum. I think Supe started the topic Razz
TaeIsTheMostAttractive
Tea Hoarder

Lego ID : Elliwhi1008751
Humor : Don't mind my oxymorons.

View user profile http://universalmln.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalu50 on Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:52 pm

I'm locking this one and moving the original topic out of Announcements to here. Wink It'd make more sense to be here so no more confusion.

Joe, you might want to copy-paste your review into the other topic, so it doesn't get lost. Wink
Dalu50
THE GLITTERING MODERATOR

Location : Down that dirt road you always drive by, one mile out, second house on the left.
Lego ID : Dalu50

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalu50 on Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:53 pm

Hey, Andy!  What'cha stick this in announcements for? Razz LOL
Dalu50
THE GLITTERING MODERATOR

Location : Down that dirt road you always drive by, one mile out, second house on the left.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomEncounter on Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:14 am

There's not really a point to it, I knew someone was gonna post a review topic soon so I thought that's where it would go. You can take it down if you want. Razz
RandomEncounter

Humor : "Please enjoy the annual Aegis Tower Fireworks, Explosives, and Concussive Blasts display. Remember, do not, at any point, no matter how aggressive the display, declare any point in the display, "The Finale," as Aegis Tower will likely take this as a challenge." --SAYER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Not Em on Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:32 am

Are we posting yet? I am. SPOILERS PEOPLE. I will tag any massive spoilers if you really want to hear about my feelings.

SO GOOD. Honestly, this movie was classic Star Wars. Does it have it's cons? Absolutely. But I think it's pros stand out, and for the most part that's the characters. All of the characters in this are so great and energetic and loveable. Poe Dameron is pure class, he oozes cool. He was one of the characters I was really excited for and I'm glad he stood out. I can't wait to see what becomes of him in the future

Finn was great. We don't often see too much of stormtroopers so I'm glad we were able to flesh them out so much. While I think the start of his arc was rushed a little bit, I loved seeing Finn's complicated feelings about the First Order. He doesn't want to fight them, he wants to get as far away as possible. He likes pretending to be the hero, but he won't actually do it. Seeing him finally take up the fight was a lot of fun. Boyega was honestly one of my favourite performances - he just seemed so happy to be there. It was a breath of fresh air from the stale, wooden acting in the prequels.

Rey is obviously a still a bit of a mystery - and I think that's fine. This is one movie of a trilogy, there's going to be more depth and questions answered. For now, I think she was a solid character. She had depth and complexity, and a realness to her. 
Spoiler:
I think her being the new Jedi instead of Finn was a neat twist, and I'm looking forward to seeing how she progresses along that road. For a first time actor, Riddely did a remarkable job.

I loved loved Kylo Ren. Such a great villain. He had a lot of presence to him, and was ominous while still holding an almost flippant attitude. His whole moral complexity is honestly incredible to watch, and you really feel for him.
Spoiler:
I mean, how often do you see a villain who's scared that he's 'straying too close to the light'? I've heard some people call him whiny but I thought he was a fantastic concept. I wonder if he'll ever find out that Vader was redeemed, and what his reaction will be.
I was a bit hesitant with the reveal of him being Ben Solo, but it paid off in the best way. It gave him such a personal connection with the original characters, and made their separation feel legitimate. In fact one of the best parts of Ren was his connection to the characters. The originals know him as Ben Solo and are fighting for that side of him, but scared of the man they see. Finn sees him as a symbol of all he fears, and Ren views Finn as a traitor. Rey and Ren have the whole future of the Jedi thing going, which is fantastic on it's own, and Poe is going to hate Ren for all the torture he was put under. A good villain should be really connected to the characters, and I love how they pulled him off. They left it in the air, but I really hope they didn't kill him off.

The other First Order characters were pretty good as well. I felt Phasma was a bit under-used, and her role in the final battle cheapened her a bit.
Spoiler:
Thankfully, Kathleen Keneddy has said there's more of Phasma in VIII, so hopefully we'll see her expanded.
Hux was an interesting character, and while he didn't have a lot of depth it was a cool performance. [/spoiler]Snoke was ominous and there's obviously going to be a lot more of him in the future. Excited to see where all this goes.[/spoiler]

All of our original actors were back in full form. Han Solo really bridged the gap here, giving a familiar face and connection to bridge these new characters on.
Spoiler:
I loved Ford and Fischer's performance together. It really felt like these two people have been together a long time and faced their share of troubles. Solo's death was shocking but it was almost inevitable. Again, I hope Ren sticks around, because killing Han Solo is going to give him huge impact if he meets our original characters again. I liked how sparsely Threepio and R2 and Luke were used - something the Prequels did wrong was give us too much too soon, and having these characters in the background allows us to focus on our newer characters.

THE PLOT!

Spoiler:
I was a bit underwhelmed that after a year of them covering the plot they gave us A New Hope x2. But, I think it was a fair play. It gives us a simple plot to feel our new characters in, and the best part of this movie was, again, the characters. That said I think the plot could've been made better if they'd... I don't know, done something more with Starkiller base. It was so obviously a new Death Star, but without any of the punch. The moment where it blows up the star system didn't feel impactful. The original Death Star blowing up Alderaan was huge, but this just felt like it was 'happening'. I feel it could easily have been switched out with a new First Order army or something that would lesson the ANH comparisons.

But I digress. The first act was really good. Max Von Sydow felt a bit underused, but worse things have happened. We're nearly instantly introduced to our cast. Everything on Jakku felt very solid, and Poe and Finn's escape is probably my favourite scene. They had such real chemistry, and you really enjoyed it along with them. Finn pretending to be Resistence was a pretty fun arc and it definitely foreshadowed whatever's up with Rey's past. The Falcon reveal was fantastic and definitely showcased our hero's abilities and them working together. All in all very cool and a lot of fun.

The whole thing with Solo and the gangs felt super unnecessary. In a movie made with a focus on practical effects, the Rathtars really stood out, and I wasn't a fan. The Kanjiclub gang was underwhelming - the martial artists from the Raid were cast, but they didn't do any martial art stuff so what was the point? I guess the scene was made to show our newer heroes having to work with Solo, but I think there's better ways that could have been done. The other plot point forwarded was the First Order spies, but that was a line that had been hammered in time after time I'm not sure it was necessary here.

Maz and the stuff on her planet was pretty well done. I'll note that the motion capture in this movie felt a bit off and is going to feel dated in the future, but I think Maz's character was pretty solid. I loved that the 'low point' in this film's act structure wasn't where everyone was defeated (though that does happen right after) but where all of our new characters are jumping off the bandwagen. Seeing Finn wanting out and Rey rejecting her future was a pretty cool sequence. Then the First Order swarms in, really showcasing their power. AND THE RESISTENCE! I love their theme, and Poe once again is just such a great character. Seeing them fly in was one of the best moments in the film.

The Resistance base stuff was pretty cool. Seeing all these major and minor Rebel characters again was a great moment. I loved seeing Poe reunite with Finn and BB-8. Lots of heroism on the base. Threepio had a great introduction, and seeing R2 deactivated was a pretty poignant moment. Shout-out to Matt Parkman becoming a pilot. 

The third act had a lot of fun going on. Rey starting to branch out in her abilities was great, and great to watch. As much as I love Poe and X-Wing action, the space battle felt a little empty. It had none of the gripping tension that the Trench Run from IV had, and somehow the cool dogfights didn't feel that engaging. That said, the action on the ground more than made up for it.

Han and Ren's confrontation was set-up well, and performed just as well. As I said before the stunt with Phasma felt a little weak, but it was a neat moment on Finn's character growth. The attention paid to Chewie's bowcaster pays off in the end, as he hits Ren and Ren survives, but is critically injured. I really enjoyed the final duel - not overly flashy, but clearly showing off the power struggle between the characters. Then when Rey fully falls back on the Force - excellent moment. All very good.

I liked that the end was left a bit open-ended. Finn and Rey don't get to really say goodbye, our villains might be dead but may have survived, and while we've won the battle our future in uncertain. R2 suddenly activating with the ENTIRE MAP felt a bit flat, but perhaps Luke had deactivated him until the moment the Force Awakens (tm). I'm excited to see what becomes of Rey and Luke's meeting, and the characters in general.

IN SHORT. The characters were amazing, the humour and action and everything just pretty much worked. Everyone played excellently off each other, and the villains were pretty great. More importantly, this is not the end. We have another two movies to deepen the plot and answer questions and develop our characters. This was an excellent first outing and I'm excited to see what happens.

Resident CanuckMadman

Location : I still remember all the glittering lights on Corsucant. Very pretty. Can we go back there, master?
Lego ID : HK-47
Humor : Commentary: I mean... nice human, goo-oood human...

View user profile http://Eurobricks, LEGO, Brickset... so on, so forth...

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariklego on Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:58 am

'Kay, I just saw it too, so I guess I'll post one of these. Razz

And these, too, have spoilers in the spoilers. DO NOT read if you haven't seen the movie.

BACKSTORY:
Spoiler:

So, big rant here. Coming from someone who is at this point used to everything in Star Wars having an enormous amount of story behind it, with every little background character having a book written about him, every trinket having a company that produced it and full specs, and every event probably being the subject of a dozen story arcs for EU books and stuff, this movie felt really bare.

Like, who's this new First Order that's popped up out of nowhere? Who's Snoke? How did we get from Endor and the Galactic Empire to this? How did the Republic show up? How did the Resistance start, and why are all the Rebel people we know in it? Where did Starkiller Station come from?

There's just so much that goes completely without explanation, and to a guy like me that's extremely frustrating. Razz
Star Wars is like the most fictional universe, and somehow they did a spectacular job of taking it and actually making it feel small. And I know I've been kinda conditioned to expect something specific, so I know I can only expect so much, but... Well, I was hoping it would be more... thought out, I guess.

Having said all that, I loved what they did fill in. The First Order gives a sense of enormity, clean/evil orderliness, and ruthless efficiency that makes them seem like REALLY good villains in a way even the Empire struggled to pull off.
And the Resistance had much more of a "rag-tag band of rebels" feel to it, like the whole thing was super close-knit and scraped together from whatever they could find.
There's little things too. Jakku seemed well-thought-out, and while there were some dumb aspects to it (Han's "cargo") I liked the scene onboard his freighter. It's not what I expected, but it makes sense.

CHARACTERS:
Spoiler:

For the most part, I loved all the characters.
-Finn might actually be my favorite. He had a lot of personality to him, and was funny and enjoyable. He wasn't really developed much, but none of them were a ton, and what he did get was good. I'm excited to see them in the next two films as well. And I agree, I did not foresee Rey being the Jedi instead of him.
-Rey was a nice character too. I think she struck me as slightly "naive/young" somehow the entire movie, though given her backstory I think it makes good sense. Also, her development of her Force-powers was maybe a tad too quick, but I'm basing this on my past understanding of SW so I guess they could do it differently if they wanted.
Spoiler:
...And for the record, I'm totally calling it that she's a Solo (meaning Han/Leia's daughter). I don't know for sure, since it seems unlike Han/Leia to just "lose" a daughter given what we know about them, and I'd have expected them to give more hints toward it, but she's clearly somebody. Good writers don't just leave a major character with "unknown parents". And the fact that she's Force-Sensitive, an amazing pilot, seems to have an interesting interaction with Kylo Ren, and that Han "took a shining" to her so quickly strikes me as fishy.
-Po Dameron was fun and likable. Not nearly mean/scoundrel-y enough to be the "new Han Solo" in my opinion, but maybe more of a "main character" version of Wedge Antilles. Which I'm totally for. I liked his witty and arrogant-to-the-badguys attitude, while at the same time he's obviously a really nice guy seeing as he made friends with all the main characters so quickly.
-BB-8: At first I was a little scared about him, that he'd be a cheesy replacement for Artoo (like Chopper from SW: Rebels became. Ehh) or a new Jar Jar-esque comic relief attempt. But overall I really loved him. I think my only fear is that he might sort of "replace" Artoo, who might almost become the "old grouchy mentor figure" or something. Razz
-Han/Leia/Chewie were great to see. I was personally a little saddened that they portrayed Han and Leia as leaving each other and going their separate ways, but I also understand the need for it as a plot device with Kylo Ren. It's nice to see that they fixed things though. Now, I TOTALLY did not see Han dying. I'm not sure how I didn't see it coming, but that was for sure the one huge plot twist I didn't expect, the 'I Am Your Father!" moment of it all. So, congrats, SW 7. You really got me with that. Razz
It's a little sad though, I was looking forward to Han sticking around, and especially working with Rey a bit. But oh well, it'll probably still work out. And as far as the "Han Solos" go, we've still got Rey, Po, and Chewie as the Millennium Falcon crew, not to mention Finn somewhere in there.
-Kylo Ren was actually slightly disappointing. I was really hoping for a new evil villain that was more... well, imposing. At one point my dad and I even leaned toward each other and whispered simultaneously, "he's ugly". XD After a long history of evil, ruthless, big Sith villains that were truly scary, seeing a nerdy/scrawny-looking, zit-faced teen who looked like his motivation for being evil ought to be all the times he was bullied in high school was kind of a disappointment. Razz He WAS fairly evil-ish though with his actions, and as long as he kept his helmet on he looked the part too. So I'm interested to see how it'll go. (By the way, my brother and I both agree that Hayden Christiansen would actually have done really good in Kylo Ren's role)
-Other Characters: Hmm, where to start. ...Well, Captain Phasma seemed a bit underused. She got like three scenes in the whole movie, and did almost nothing in any of them. So I'm hoping to see this elite Stormtrooper do a little more in the next two films and make a name for herself. Snoke looks creepy and like a pretty good villain, but he's pretty unknown still so we'll see how it goes. And I was terrified at first that he was really big, but that turned out to just be a hologram (Phew! The Big Bad isn't a cave troll). Razz And General Hux was a nice addition, and definitely had the snobbish "I'm in charge" attitude that'll make a nice villain to vie for power against Kylo Ren.

STORY:
Spoiler:

Overall, it had its ups and downs plot-wise.

I liked the way it started. It threw you right into the Star Wars universe and was very exciting. For the most part the story was very enjoyable.

Having said that, I have negative stuff to say on it.

Most importantly, the Starkiller Station part felt SO poorly executed. It wasn't threatening like either of the Death Stars, it didn't give that sense of impending doom as it prepares to blow up Yavin or is steadily picking off the Alliance fleet piece by piece, and the fact that it was going to be blown up was extremely obvious from the moment they said that it even needed to be.

I won't re-say everything Leg just did, but I basically agree with him on everything. Every bit of stuff revolving around the First Order's new weapon was too "duh" and felt like it recycled SW's existing plots, and not only that but didn't pull it off as well.

Anyway, they violated quite a few smaller storytelling rules, but oh well.

Other aspects were pretty enjoyable. The search for Luke should have gotten WAY more attention than the Starkiller Station in my opinion, being the focus of the story instead of the whole superweapon endgame. It was still pretty good though, and the attention that it did get made for a good plot.

STAR WARS-Y-NESS
Spoiler:

I was somewhat surprised by a lot of stuff. I thought I was really going to hate the reworking of the "look" of most of the stuff, but I actually really loved basically all of it. The Stormtroopers definitely felt cool and evil, and actually had quite a bit of personality to them while still fitting the bill as "faceless mooks". I thought I'd despise the redone X-Wings and TIEs, but those were really cool too, and even if it totally deviates from my past presuppositions about them they still make total sense. Seeing the Falcon again was really nice, especially in new high graphics, and the short duel between the Falcon and the TIEs on Jakku was probably one of my favorite parts of the movie.
Surprisingly, I think my biggest nitpick looks-wise is the blasters Han gives to Finn and Rey. Rey's is "ehh", too wimpy looking, and Finn's is barely recognizable as a gun in my opinion. But hey, that's a small thing. Razz I actually really like the redesigned Stormtrooper arsenal, and even Kylo Ren's "crossguard" lightsaber is surprisingly not bothering me.

Funny thing is, for all their acknowledgement of the Original Trilogy and their attempts to emulate it, I found myself wishing they had done a little to fit with the Prequels. Razz I know tons of people hate them for being so bad in so many ways, but if there's one thing I love about them it's that they gave Star Wars a certain "feel" that really expanded on what the OT had done. And for some reason it's like SW 7 tossed it out the window and started from scratch, with is really disappointing.

The soundtrack was gorgeous and very John Williams, though I don't like it as much as his past work with Star Wars. I need to listen to it some more, but going from memory I didn't think it was very distinct or creative. It just kinda fit into the background, which is completely unlike his past work with Star Wars. In the past you could find a dozen themes at least from every movie that you'd be humming for weeks, but this one didn't really catch my attention or anything. And again, I would have liked some reuse of stuff from the Prequels. For all its problems, the Prequels had a gorgeous soundtrack, especially Episode I. *dodges a hailstorm of rotten tomatoes*

Anyway, so ends my review. Razz Overall there was plenty I wish they had done better on, but there was plenty that was mind-blowingly amazing.
Ariklego
Slightly Weird
Slightly Weird

Lego ID : ariklego
Humor : The majority of fruit species have comparable aerodynamic properties to the genus Musa when hurled or otherwise propelled through a standard earth-like atmosphere. Buzz buzz.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Not Em on Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:25 pm

John Williams' work on the Prequels is their saving grace. Nothing to be ashamed of there. I do agree that the OST is a bit weaker than past ones - not to say it's bad in any way shape or form, it's absolutely not. That said, March of the Resistance is amazing and Rey's Theme strikes a certain chord.

Regarding your first point:
Spoiler:
I do agree that this is a bit of a jump from VI. The Republic is re-established, sweet. But the Rebels are just the 'Resistence'? How much power does/did the Republic have? The First Order makes sense from an 'ashes of the Empire' sort of deal, but I think the specifics of the Resistence and how strong they are or aren't and how they developed is kind of wonky.

As for who Snoke is and what the deal with Rey's parents are, that's almost surely going to be a huge driving force of the next two movies. Again, this is just the first of a trilogy. There's going to be questions, and not all will be clear until we see this through.

Resident CanuckMadman

Location : I still remember all the glittering lights on Corsucant. Very pretty. Can we go back there, master?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalu50 on Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:14 pm

WOW...some REALLY in depth reviews here. afraid

I'd better be incredibly short.
Spoiler:

Okay, I really, really like the plot.  It's got a lot of "holes" in it, but that's actually a good thing.  It leaves a lot of mystery to be cleared up later on when the other films come out, which even more makes me want to see the next films.  If they don't fill up the holes, that's a problem, but by various hints and things they dropped during the film, I'm under the strong impression they mean to explain things.

I just couldn't BELIEVE they killed off Han Solo.  Such an iconic SW character!  If he was going to die, I wish they would have killed him in the SECOND of this series or something, instead of giving us a little over an hour just to feel familiar and happy and attached to him again and then WHAM. Sad
That being said, the death scene was amazing...even if it was awful. Razz

I just KNOW who Rey is...it's so obvious... Twisted Evil  That's going to be awesome when it comes out. Very Happy

Love the new characters, minus the female storm trooper (because that feels out of canon).  Actually, I don't love Ben Solo. I can't stand him.  But that's good. Razz

Anyway yeah, I wanna see it again.
Dalu50
THE GLITTERING MODERATOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mouse Whisperer on Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:17 am

I...I think I liked it. Razz

Spoiler:
Han Solo's death... I almost cried. Razz That whole scene stressed me out. I too was fooled into thinking Kylo Ren was going to turn good or something. But then when Han Solo says he'll do 'anything' I was like well blast it, he's doomed. 

The scene was done well, but the whole conversation was awful. The way Kylo Ren said everything... *walks away crying* 
The Mouse Whisperer
Crazy
Crazy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalu50 on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:04 pm

Mouse:

Spoiler:

I had this feeling Ren was faking it, because his change seemed too sudden.
But somehow I didn't think it'd happen--like Ren would just TRY it.  But when Solo fell over the side, I jerked back and gasped, it shocked me so much.  And yeah, I got teary.  Which of course means the scene was perfectly done. Razz
Dalu50
THE GLITTERING MODERATOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone-Star on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:12 pm

Five stars for the new Star Wars. Wink

Last edited by The Southerner on Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lone-Star
Chicken Lord, 1st Class

Lego ID : scarecrow535
Humor : Lemme ask you just one question: I THINK YOU'RE LYING!!! --A Bad Lawyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tater on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:46 pm

Idk why people are so obsessed with spoilers, I mean, if you don't wanna know spoilers then don't read the reviews xD *Likes spoilers* Welp, time to get readin' these things.
Tater
Over 9000
Over 9000

Location : A secret location that is of the upmost classified and not to be spoken of... EVER. O_O . Or you can be sure you might just get stabbed with a sharp pointy pencil ^_^ . You've been warned.
Lego ID : arwin,arwin1,arwin2
Humor : "Buy the paperback. E-books lack character." ~Shogo Makishima, Psycho-Pass~

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Not Em on Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:31 am

Seriously, what on earth is wrong with a female stormtrooper? 

Also I'm 99% sure Han and Leia were married. That might just be me leaking from the old canon, but their relationship was well-established and there's no reason for them not to have married.

Resident CanuckMadman

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomEncounter on Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:32 am

Spoiler:

I disliked Phasma, not because she's a female trooper, but because she seemed like a total pushover. I would expect a character like her to refuse to do anything at blaster-point, and go down fighting rather than help out. I suppose we'll get some more of her in VIII though, so I'll withhold too much judgement.

Scare, I didn't get a single feeling of political correctness the entire movie. Black people can be actors, as well as women, and it's not politically correct to use them. Razz I, for one, was happy that Lando Calrissian is no longer the only black guy in the entire galaxy. Razz 

Another very minor thing, I wish Fin had been a TK unit, not FN, but I guess there's probably a reason for that.

I absolutely loved this movie, every scene and every line. I thought it was the perfect sequel and continuation of Star Wars, and that it captured the mood and spirit of Star Wars in every way. I also  think I agree with Leg in most of his review, so I'm not going to cover every character or anything. I did especially appreciate the nods to the old Expanded Universe, particularly naming Han and Leia's kid "Ben" (even though the EU named LUKE'S kid Ben) and ESPECIALLY the mention that the Millenium Falcon is a YT-series Corellian freighter. That made me very happy. Razz Actually, this entire movie made me happy, almost emotional at times, which never happens with other movies. I think I nearly broke my girlfriend's hand when they showed the Falcon and when Han came on board. Razz

Han's death was perfectly done-- you saw it coming but was still very emotional and I hated it and loved it at the same time. Ren was perfectly done as well-- they used him to show off some new Force powers (freezing people and blaster bolts, the mind-exploration), and he was an excellent conflicted villain until he finally kills Solo and really goes over to the Dark Side for good. I liked his bursts of rage at hearing bad news, which was a nice contrast to Darth Vader's calm acceptance that showed he was younger, more emotional, and much less powerful and in control than Vader. This, as Rey pointed out in one of my favorite scenes, is kind of his underlying motivation, and one which I loved seeing.

I expect that in VIII, we'll see more of the vision Rey had when she touched the saber, particularly the scene where Ren kills someone and then stands menacingly with a bunch of other people in black. I assume this is Ren and his followers destroying Luke's new Jedi order, which I think is another nod to the Expanded Universe, as well as Mon Calamari being exactly as the EU described it. They did move the First Jedi Temple from Ossus to Mon Cal, but that's okay. Razz 

I agree with Arik and Leg that Starkiller Base was a bit of a weak plot point, but I feel like this movie, as it's ushering us into a new age of Star Wars, wanted to mirror IV as much as possible, if only to assure us that this isn't going to be like the Prequels. Responding to Arik on the lack of Prequel mirroring, well, I felt like Kylo Ren was a beautiful crossover between Vader and Anakin from the prequels. He hold a very similar, not-quite-military-but-still-has-power position as Vader, but he also mirrors Anakin's character from III in many ways, like his determination to be more powerful, for a specific and personal reason.

Also responding to Arik, you said this movie felt bare because you're used to all the Expanded Universe surrounding the old movies. Do you know about the new canon books? Disney released a bunch of new canon books leading up to this movie that explain the First Order, the Resistance, the Republic, all of that. So that should ease your mind a bit. Razz 

Another note on Han's death-- I'm glad it happened. This movie was all about introducing new characters, new settings, new everything, and there was no way they could really make a death mean something to the audience with a new character. Solo, however, is known and loved by everyone, so his death meant a lot to everyone. Also, Harrison Ford agreed to do the Star Wars movies in the first place on the agreement with Lucas that he would be killed off in the first movie. Then Lucas dragged him back for a second and third movie, and Han never got to die. Now he can rest in peace. Razz Also, it shows that JJ Abrams has guts. He's not afraid to kill someone important off.

Scare, on your complaint about Phasma, I don't understand why you listed Asajj Ventress as a mastermind villain. Razz I hate that character along with the rest of the Clone Wars, and she's nothing of a mastermind, just a poorly-written lacky whose skill depends on who she needs to just barely lose to. I'm actually interested in Phasma because Star Wars hasn't really had (that comes to mind) a female villain before. Which isn't surprising, since Leia is one of the only females in the entire galaxy, but still. Razz 

I agree with Leg that Han and Leia got married. Their interactions seemed like a husband and wife who miss each other, not a couple kids who had an affair a long time ago. They were obviously together long enough to raise a child until he was old enough to be mid-twenties or thirties Kylo Ren, so unless they were just in a weird, living-together-for-twenty-years-and-raising-children-without-getting-married relationship, they got married. Even if they didn't, this is Star Wars, and if it's okay that there's no God and the eastern-religion Force is real, then marriage should be the least of your worries. Razz  That's probably laid out in the released canon, too, so you should go read those books with Arik. Razz

I'm guessing Rey is Luke's daughter. She's got to be in the bloodline of the Skywalkers, that'd explain the whole lightsaber business, and why her untrained mind is strong enough in the Force to resist the trained Kylo Ren and figure out mind-tricks in a few minutes. That's my theory. Razz 

Overall, this was a fantastic movie, 10/10, would recommend to a friend. Razz 

RandomEncounter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KaijuToonamiGuy on Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:45 am

Hey Kaylu,

My topic was supposed to be the reviews of Star Wars The Force Awakens!! It has nothing to do with any of the earlier topics so you have no reason to delete it! Next time, read the topics carefully before deleting anyone else's!!
KaijuToonamiGuy
Insane & Alive

Lego ID : Shulk1991
Humor : Bazinga!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomEncounter on Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:39 am

I posted mine first, just in the wrong place, so she just archived yours and said you could move your review here. It makes sense. Razz
RandomEncounter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalu50 on Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:50 pm

Joe:
  The only reason I locked your topic was because Andy had already posted the same topic.  However, he'd put it in the wrong place, so I understand why you thought yours was the original topic.  We couldn't have two topics that were the same thing, so I moved Andy's where it belonged.  I did that because yours was technically posted after his, so it would only be fair that the first topic would be the one used. Wink
  If you still feel like you were slighted or I didn't understand the situation, you can PM me or even an Administrator if you think you need to. Wink
Dalu50
THE GLITTERING MODERATOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alien_Ant2 on Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:53 pm

Supe, you suprise me. I thoguht that you of all people would strongly dislike the movie. Razz

I know I did, I was over the movie before it was even halfway through.

I want to first say that I didn't go in with a negative expectation. Alot of people said it was amazing, and so I got amped up thinking they did a great job with it........nope.

Spoiler:
I was afraid that it would comepletly ignore all of the first six episodes except for dumb refrences to the previous chracters/main events. Instead I got something compeltely differnet and just as bad. They literally took episode IV, slapped different character and planet names n such on it, added small bits of the other five movies, and where done with it. The whole movie felt like it could be summed up with one meme:
Spoiler:

I honestly tried hard to like the movie, cuase people kept telling me it was awesome and that they didn't ruin it......Now that I've seen it I'm not sure how they can say that.........
Other than the cool new ties, stormtroopers and their blasters, and new x-wings (all of which I liked...probably the only thing I liked), there was zero originality (oh, okay, the main characters are female and black, still, I meant an original story that fit well with the previous six stories).
Looking for a robot? Check
With a secret file? Check
On a desert planet? Check
Where we find the hero(ine)? Check
And the Falcon? Check
Heroine is a skilled pilot? Check
Masked villian? Check
Masked villian related to all the important people? Check
And he actually serves a darker higher person represented through a hologram? Check (I'm calling the emperor, somehow not dead)
And he has something of a power stuggle with a general? Check
Trying to turn the villian back to the good side? Check
Looking for an ancient master to teach you the ways of the force? Check
And he went into hiding after all the jedi died? Check
Giant spherical planet killer? Check (take a hint already, it doesn't work! Stick to massive armies and tons of starships and backstabbing people, that worked Razz )
Have to lower shields for said giant spherical planet killer? Check
Use a sabatoge team with han, chewie, and a bunch of explosives? Check (Well, of course they'ld use explosives, but it was stil way to similar to doing it on Endor)
The native people rise up to help win the day? No check....OH WAIT! There's something they different! Finally!
Destroyed moments before it fires on the rebelistance base? Check (Why on earth is it now the "resistance" instead of the "rebellion"?!?!?)
Trench run while destroying the giant spherical planet killer? Check
As well as flying inside to destroy it? Check
Use only a small handful of x-wings to do it? Check
Demonstrate it's power by destroying a planet previously? Check
Villian is not actually dead and is recovered by aforementioned darker higher person to train more? Check
One of the main characters thinks its no use fighting the imperial first order and runs away? check
Only to return in time to save the day? Check
Oh yeah, and massacre the heroine's desert home? Check

And the whole stormtrooper running away thing escalated waaaay too fast, and I thought he did a terrible job acting. I couldn't stand his character at all.

And Han's death was sooooo easy to see a while off, personally I thought the whole thing escalated to quickly, but was still way to transparent. It was so blatanly obvious that kylo ren was gona kill Han, I thought some lines needed redone there. It just really wasn't moving at all. More like, "wait for it...wait for it......aaaaand THEREs the lightsaber, called it....well now Han's dead and the movie can end"

Bottom line, simply copying a previous episode of starwars, and I do mean a darn near direct ctrl+c and then ctrl+v, does not count as making a new episode of starwars. Add to that rapid esclataion (mostly on Fin's part, I can't really say the same for everyone else), and not near as good x-wing/tie-fighter or falcon/tie-fighter battles just to top it off,, and the whole movie was just terrible.

Also, every other force user had to put effort into moving solid objects arround, how is it that kylo ren can freeze fast moving blaster bolts in place almost effortlessly?!? I'm not sure if everyone remembers the concentration luke and yoda put into moving stuff around, now kylo just sorta waves his hand without looking at the blaster bolt freezes.....which should take alot more energy than moving a block or something......

I can't wait to see the honest trailer for this one. I have a feeling it'll be similar to the one for Divergent

I really did try hard to  like this movie, but just......no....just no........
I'll go back to reading the books when I have time. 2/10, would never recommend to a friend.

EDIT: So I'm reading this topic where everyone says it was a pretty goodmovie, and have listened to all my friends and family talking about how great the movie was.

Meanwhile I'm just sitting here thinking:

Alien_Ant2
Muffin Keeper
Muffin Keeper

Lego ID : Alien_Ant2
Humor : A storm trooper and a redshirt got into a fight. The stormtrooper missed, but the redshirt died anyways.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomEncounter on Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:20 pm

I mean I understand where you're coming from, Ant, but a lot of those things are reasons why I thought this was a great start to a new era and generation of Star Wars. Don't think of it as ONLY being a new movie and sequel to Star Wars, also think of it as a NEW Star Wars, for a new generation. I saw this movie more as, "if Episode IV were to happen in this generation of moviemaking," and I thought Abrams did a good job of ushering this generation into the next dozen or so Star Wars movies over the next dozen or so years. There will be a LOT more Star Wars in the near future, and I think the reason everyone liked this movie so much was because you come out of that movie feeling like you just saw a Star Wars movie, and you're ready to get into a new storyline. I don't know, to me it just felt like a perfect way to continue the series-- yes, the story was VERY similar, and a lot of the characters were similar, but it was different, too. Some new stuff, some old stuff, which is a good formula for a transition into the new era. 

For example, Kylo Ren was NOT an exact replica of Darth Vader. He was a mirror of Vader in some ways, as I said in my review, from his outside-military position to his mask and menacing demeanor, but he was like Anakin in some ways as well, in his rashness, outbursts of anger, and obsessive lust for more power. Rey was like Luke in that she was a good pilot, raised on a desert planet, force-sensitive and probably the child of someone much more important, but like young Anakin in that she was a slave and didn't want to leave without her "family." Most people do tend to agree with you on Starkiller base, it did feel rushed and a bit like it was stuck in there to keep the similarities to IV, but overall, I thought the movie did a great job of bringing a fresh breath of air to the old Star Wars movie, and of getting us ready for the new generation of Star Wars we're about to experience.

I suppose they couldn't please everyone, though. I've accepted the tossing aside of the EU at this point, and see their reasoning for doing so, and in general I tried to get myself into a very receptive mindset for this movie. I'm really excited for this new era of SW. Razz
RandomEncounter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariklego on Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:22 am

Yeah, I was like "no EU? Ehh, oh well" a long time ago. Razz And I totally understand and agree with the reasoning for doing so. If I was making a post-ROTJ set of movies, I'd most likely have done it too.

As for other qualities of the movie, overall I definitely loved it. One of my biggest problems with it is actually from a more plot-related viewpoint (since I'm sort of-ish a writer), because I thought aspects of the story were way too rushed and somewhat obvious or unoriginal.

As for the Starkiller Station... Ehh, I think it was a pretty bad idea to go that route. Even when I saw the big spherical thing in the poster, I was like "oh no... Don't let that be another Death Star." The existence of this new giant planet-killing superweapon was just big "seriously? You're doing it again?" thing. And of all the things to try to "tie it into the Original Trilogy", this had to be it?
Overall, every bit of the Starkiller Station plot felt like they weren't even trying.

Kylo Ren I didn't really mind. I just thought he didn't really look the part. Razz He strikes me more as "scrawny, whiny brat" than a legitimate villain, and he seemed so weak at times, like in his lightsaber duel with Finn and Rey. As far as his personality, and his menacing-ness when he's at least wearing his helmet, he's actually pretty good I thought.
Ariklego
Slightly Weird
Slightly Weird

Lego ID : ariklego
Humor : The majority of fruit species have comparable aerodynamic properties to the genus Musa when hurled or otherwise propelled through a standard earth-like atmosphere. Buzz buzz.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomEncounter on Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:55 am

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but I've heard rumors of people actually shipping Finn and Po for the next movie. So THAT should be interesting.
RandomEncounter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffy on Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:48 am

I saw this movie. First time for me to see any SW movies in the theater 'cuz I'm normally not into SW at all but BF likes it so I went. I actually thought it was interesting, but I wouldn't want to see it again. Razz

Queen of Bunnies

Lego ID : Fluffy
Humor : My employer won't pay for my breakfast, therefore I have "no access" to food.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Not Em on Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:58 pm

Kylo Ren I didn't really mind. I just thought he didn't really look the part.  He strikes me more as "scrawny, whiny brat" than a legitimate villain.
Good. That meant Abrams successfully did what he wanted. Ren isn't a fully realized villain, yet. He's still conflicted. He's still training. That's who he is, and I'm super excited to see his character grow and become more evil as the series progresses.
I'm normally not into SW at all but BF likes it...
What wha- Shocked I suppose this is what happens when no one chats anymore. xD

Resident CanuckMadman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top