LegoZone Power
Welcome to the island of Elzeep, a LEGO fan forum created by Pikmin0207! Please login or register to post messages. Nardeeps laugh

CHEEEEEEEEEEESE! Cheezy Grin

The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies

Post by Captain Pie on Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:25 pm

TOPIC SPOILER ALERT:
   All the posts in this topic will NOT have spoilers in them, so don't read them unless you don't mind having the film spoiled for you. Wink

Wow wo w wow, I watched the premiere, and I can honestly say that my feelings were destroyed.

I LOVED the character development of basically everyone, especially Thranduil's (haha, I know, I have a bias). Thorin's death was done so well, and cried in the theater for maybe 15 minutes after Bilbo tried to desperately keep Thorin conscious ("Look, Thorin! The Eagles! The Eagles are here..."). I grinned SO wide when Thranduil told Legolas to find Aragorn, oh my chicken.

My only complaints are:

-Unresolved plot points (where did Saruman go?? What happened to Galadriel? Did she seriously just walk back to Lothlorien? And what of Tauriel?)
-Fili did NOT get enough dialogue and screen time. Like, come on, Alfred was showcased more than a way more important character. In fact, very few of the dwarves got screen time at all, save Kili, Thorin, and somewhat Balin and Dwalin (who both were done really well imo).
-The worms???? I mean, I get the reference PJ made, but it was entirely unnecessary.
-Galadriel's shining scene was supremely overshadowed by her lying on the floor for maybe half of it or more. I can understand why she might have been drained while in the prescence of Sauron because of Nenya, but then by that logic Elrond would have been sapped as well. I really didn't understand that line of thinking in the directing at all. Not to mention I hated her look of blatant terror when the Nazgul arrived, and the noises she made seriously took away from the authority and power Galadriel would have canonically shown (although this is Movie!Galadriel rather than Book!Galadriel, but still.). But, these are just my opinions on the matter.

Anyway, what did you all think of it? Share your thoughts here!! Smile
Captain Pie
Anime Elf

Lego ID : MinifigDesigner
Humor : Two doses of insanity a day, keeps the psychiatrist away...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies

Post by Dalu on Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:01 pm

Okay, with the scene when Bilbo was in total denial, telling a dead Thorin to look at the eagles coming...OH MY. JUST...I want to cry right now thinking of it.  Everything about that moment was perfect.
  Galadriel looked EVIL when she was telling Sauron to leave.  Seriously, she wouldn't look like a WITCH when she was doing something GOOD, for goodness' sake! afraid 
  Actually, I disliked everything about Dol Guldur except the epic sword and staff play of Elrond and Saruman.

ACORN SCENE!  Wasn't it beautiful?  Made me so mad, though...while talking to Bilbo,Thorin's just beginning to soften and lose the madness, when suddenly Dwalin comes with a report and ruins everything. *face palm*

Thranduil I was afraid would be melodramatic, because of a scene in DoS when he seemed to be overdoing it.  However, he turned out just fine in this film. Very Happy

Also, I loved the parting scene with Bilbo and the other Dwarves. So sweet.  Wish it was more drawn out, though. *cough, Tauriel and Kili ruined that*

OH YES!  EPIC MOMENT!  When Thorin and Company come charging out the Front Gate to join the battle. Drooling  Almost just like I imagined it.

Btw, I inserted spoiler alerts for your topic. Wink

Dalu
THE GLITTERING MODERATOR

Lego ID : Dalu50

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Pie on Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:40 pm

I understood the reference PJ made with Galadriel's transformation, but...both in the book and movie, again, Galadriel used Nenya to draw on so much power as to visibly transform in the physical world. Not entirely great, but not necessarily bad either. I wish PJ directed Sauron's actions differently though, it was a big disappointment to me imo.

THE ACORN SCENE MADE ME SO HAPPY, BUT NOOO. And when he told Bilbo to plant his trees, I just. That was truly heartbreaking, in a bittersweet way.

Honestly, I had no idea on what to expect with Thranduil. DoS wasn't that bad with Thranduil, but not perfect. BoFA did a waay better job in portraying Thranduil for sure. AND THE NECKLACE ARC AHHHHH it was so wonderful and I'm overjoyed that Thranduil's wife was connected. Particularly when Tauriel tells Thranduil "There is no love in it. There is no love in you." you could tell that Thranduil was enraged at just how wrong she was. Because Thranduil loved his wife so deeply that he can't even bear to touch love again. And while it's popular opinion that Tauriel is trash and should be scraped from existence, I really enjoyed her interactions with Thranduil.

AND YESSSS when the Dwarves came into battle, I was chilled at just how intense and momentous that sequence was. And Thorin's little head bump with Kili made my heart bubble

Like, I can't express enough at how satisfied I am with this last film. Yes, many things had flaws, and it could have been better, but the characters and connections were just so well done that I can't bring myself to say it flunked. Not in the slightest.
Captain Pie
Anime Elf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Cuddles on Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:26 am

I have to say, despite all the annoying flaws and deviations, I found I really enjoyed it, defo the best of the three.

"I can do all things through Christ, who gives me strength"

I do not belong in a world of broken pieces
I was meant to be in the arms of Your redemption
I am moving on to the place of Your perfection
Cause I do not belong

This world is not my home
I'm a stranger in this land
But I am not alone
When I do not belong

"True friendship is like sound health, the true value of it is not known until it is lost." - LM, you will be sorely missed.

No matter where you are, or what you are going through, you are never truly alone.
Dr Cuddles
Evil Hamster Dictator Intern

Lego ID : Sheikh Me Handy
Humor : I really like Windmills. I'm a huge fan.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalu on Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:41 pm

Pie,
  Yeah, I liked that they put more emotion into Thranduil.  Honestly I forget whether his wife died or not in the books...guess she probably did or we might have heard from her...but IDK. The most I ever read of Thrandy was in Unfinished Tales, and Tolkien made him rather mysterious even there.   And his fighting style was so epic!!!  Loved how he leaped off his steed when it was shot down and landed so...epicly. Drooling
   I must admit that I'd rather NOT have Tauriel.  HOWEVER, I can't go and change any of that, so I will say, as a character in herself, she really wasn't that bad.  She wasn't super-woman, and she also had some good, poignant moments with Thranduil--like the "there is no love in YOU" thing you mentioned.  She was totally much less annoying than I figured she would be. LOL

Yeah, the head-bump thing was touching. *tear trickle*

I agree with your last paragraph completely.  Also, we might get to see some of the stuff we wanted in the extended version--you know, like how they added book stuff in DoS's extended edition. Very Happy

Dalu
THE GLITTERING MODERATOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone-Star on Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:50 pm

I absolutely loved the movie.

Plotwise, it deviated from the book immensely, but honestly I really don't care that much. The emotion, the characterization, the CGI effects, were so breathtaking, that I couldn't help but fall in love with the film.

Now for more detail (though not exhaustive):

PROS:
~ The characterization on practically everybody was brilliant. Thranduil was a cross between a nut and a nobleman (nice combo, IMO. Razz ), Thorin was epic, Balin was amazing, Dwalin was rugged, Alfred was hilarious, Bard was brave, Azog was horribly wicked, Bilbo was flawless, etc. Honestly, Jackson really came through with the characters. I loved Thorin's dragon-sickness and Balin and Dwalin's concern for him...well-done!
~ The combat moves were glorious. I was especially impressed with Thranduil and Elrond...awesome guys with blades. Very Happy  And then of course, there was the final duel with Azog and Thorin. Honestly, there were so many good combat scenes that one cannot go into detail without covering the page. Razz
~ The final duel between Azog and Thorin was epic. Thorin was at his best (having repented of his pride), and Azog was at his worst. Epic. Smile
~ The emotion of the film was absolutely stirring. The concern of Balin for Thorin, the grieving of the Laketown people at the loss of their homes/relatives, the righteous rage against the evils of the Orcs, and, above all, the death scene with Thorin and Bilbo, were brilliantly done.

CONS
~ Dain was not well done. He was too much of a comic character. His use of a b-word (though once used in an archaic and less-vulgar manner) was absolutely unnecessary, and sadly crushed Jackson's impressive no-swearword record for the Middle-earth saga. Also, I deemed it rather stupid for Dain to be mounted on a hog...a hog that wasn't much bigger than Dain himself. I think that the hog might have been okay if it had been bigger and had some ferocious-looking tusks, but as it was it looked too much like a particularly fat farm hog. Razz
~ Gandalf was too weak. I know he wasn't omnipotent in the book, but it just seemed too much like he was too weak...I mean, being saved by GALADRIEL was just borderline pathetic. I know that Galadriel was trained in magic by the powerful Maia Melian, but really, Gandalf was the Maia Olorin incarnated, and as such probably should have had a bit more raw power than even a High Elven queen. It seemed as though, throughout the Middle-earth Saga, Jackson portrayed Gandalf as a bit weaker than he should have been. (Cf. his confrontation of the Witch-king; in the book, Tolkien seemed to imply that the two were evenly matched, but in RotK, the Witch-king was portrayed as obviously more powerful). Also, Sauron had not yet amassed his full strength, and it is debatable whether or not he would have the power to imprison Gandalf like he did. I would have liked to see Gandalf ENDURE and not fall to pieces, and use some fancy Istari power like Saruman. Razz
~ The earth-eaters looked as though they came right out of The Empire Strikes Back. They were far from Middle-earth-ish and looked ridiculously sci-fi.

Those are just a few pros and cons. A detailed analysis would take me too long. Razz
Lone-Star
Chicken Lord, 1st Class

Lego ID : scarecrow535
Humor : Lemme ask you just one question: I THINK YOU'RE LYING!!! --A Bad Lawyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Cracken on Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:59 pm

Haven't seen the movie, but I saw on Twitter yesterday that Dee Bradley Baker did most of the creature sounds in this movie. He's well-known for his ability to do that sort of thing, he does all the animal noises on Phineas & Ferb, as well. Razz

[23:24:10] @ Em : I'd be the man, but I look stellar in an apron.

Queen of Bunnies wrote:Crackers is the center of a twinkie reality. Razz
The Cracken
Teletubby Admin
Teletubby Admin

Lego ID : crackers5
Humor : Anything is possible when you smell like Emjajoas and not a lady. I'm on Elzeep.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bone-Appeteet on Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:03 pm

Just got back from seeing it!

I'm not going to read the other comments, and I'm not going to post a super-long, over-analytical thing on it like I usually do. Razz

It was really good. It was better then the second one in the trilogy, which is good, because that was the most boring of all six, imo. =P

My favorite scenes were two that were at the very end. In one, Gandalf sat beside Bilbo, and in the other, Bilbo was with Gandalf in the woods bordering the shire.
The reason I liked them was because, visually, they were cool. Razz  The first scene was the sun setting behind them and the oranges and stony grays and Bilbos dirty face... it was just really cool. The second scene, I mainly just really liked Bilbo's outfit. xD

And at the credits, I thought of Dalu, because they had really cool artwork of the characters and places. Razz
Bone-Appeteet
Officially Elzeep
Officially Elzeep

Lego ID : not Bone-Appeteet for sure O_O
Humor : I say a lot of funny things, but I can never remember what they are...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Pie on Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:39 pm

@Scare: I agree with pretty much all of that tbh, although I'm not sure why everyone is so mortified by Dain's usage of swears.

And regarding Gandalf, yeah, he was underpowered, but I don't see much wrong with it. Realistically, Gandalf the Grey was not a being of incredible raw power to begin with (conditions the Valar put the Istari under and all) and in this form did not have the sort of levels of power Saruman did (obviously this changed upon transformation into Gandalf the White). And, being saved by Galadriel, I thought was pretty nice and wasn't particularly pathetic, frankly I was a bit disappointed with her portrayal (I mean come on, she was on the ground helpless while Elrond and Saruman had most of the fun) considering just how much arcane mastery she wields (being a Noldo of royal descent taught by Melian no less). I'm actually surprised you aren't using Elrond as a figure that's supposed to be weaker than Gandalf rather Galadriel, considering in theory Galadriel is stronger than Elrond. I mean, in the appendices it is stated that Galadriel destroyed Dol-Gul-Dur with her own raw power alone, so I'm not sure why Galadriel is being used here as a supposedly weaker character opposed to Gandalf. I'm just really confused by this criticism. :S If anything, I'd be angry over Galadriel's depiction, but that's just my opinion. Razz
Captain Pie
Anime Elf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zint Fazer on Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:38 am

Super extensive review of the movie:
Spoiler:
It was heart-wrenching

@Scare: Yeah I was surprised when Dain started to use a couple vulgarities (two different ones to total three usages) - Luckily those were the only ones in the entire Tolkien saga, but it would've been nice if they were left out.
Zint Fazer
Muffin Keeper
Muffin Keeper

Lego ID : rezaFtinZ (But backwards)
Humor : I make funny jokes.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalu on Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:48 pm

Cap'n Pie,
   Knowing Scare, I believe he'd agree with me on this:  It's not so much how powerful she was but how UNDER-powerful Gandalf was.  So her strength that might have seemed normal usually suddenly became excessive when compared to Gandalf's weakness.  I think if Gandalf would have been portrayed as stronger, Galadriel's power would have been great. Very Happy
  Add to that, well, it just sort of irritates me to see these super-powerful female figures saving the guys. LOL I know Tolkien made Galadriel unusually strong in different ways for a female, but it still irks me to see her saving Gandalf when it should be the other way around.  That's why it didn't bother me when Saruman and Elrond had their cool scene fighting the Nazgul. Cool

Bone,
  Those two scenes you mentioned were so great!  Especially the scene with Gandy and Bilbo sitting together.  OH THE COLOURS WERE SO BEAUTIFUL, they almost made you cry by themselves!
  ARTWORK AT THE END??? I didn't stay to see that!  *goes to find the video with the credits artwork*  I'll bet that was Howard and Lee stuff! Drooling 

Josh,
  The creature sounds were great!

Chuck,
  Sometimes three words tell it all.

Dalu
THE GLITTERING MODERATOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Pie on Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:30 pm

@Dalu: Ahh, mmk. I sort of understand where you're coming from, however it should be duly noted that Gandalf used quite a bit of power in confronting Sauron, so it's not terribly unrealistic that he's weak in this scene. To make him seem more powerful only to protect the idea that he's an equal to, or is more important than Galadriel is absolutely absurd in my opinion. The fact is, anyone who had such an encounter with Sauron such as he did would be drained of energy and power, if not outright dead.

As to your second note, can you explain why you believe it's wrong for a female to be saving a male? Particularly because rescues and combat in general is not a gender exclusive transaction, and well, it's extremely sexist to imply it is. Tolkien, whilst not innocent of sexism within his literary works, clearly did not think women are inept in warfare or incapable of leading (Haleth, Luthien, Melian, Galadriel, Eowyn, and many more). I apologize if this seems blunt, but I just don't think Tolkien would have considered Galadriel's rescue "backwards" or immoral either. =/

But, I am curious of your opinion, if you're willing to share. Smile
Captain Pie
Anime Elf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalu on Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:55 pm

Pie,
  I'm reply to you in a PM to keep this topic--well--on topic. Very Happy

Dalu
THE GLITTERING MODERATOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mouse Whisperer on Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:56 pm

I just went to see the movie! I enjoyed it, I really enjoyed it. There were a lot of really epic scenes.  Drooling One of my favorites being the one during the battle that the elves leapt over the people with the shields, and also when the dwarves charged out into the battle!!

I wasn't trying to compare it to how similar it was to the book, so it didn't bother me that much that there were so many things different about it. There were some things that I think were unnecessary, and I don't think they should have tried to make it so much like the Lord of the Rings. If they had left out the many unnecessary things that they added to the story, they really could have done it in two movies, or even one. Razz Like I said, it didn't bother me too much that they added things to it, but if they're going to make a movie of a book, they should stick to the story as best they can without adding or leaving out that much.

Also, in the Battle of the Five Armies And the Desolation of Smaug Legolas and Taurial seemed like they acted like ninjas to me. LOL! Not necessarily bad, I thought that was something the way they did all those flips and things. Razz 

But I really liked the movie. All in all I thought it was really good. Very Happy
The Mouse Whisperer
Crazy
Crazy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalu on Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:53 pm

One of my favorites being the one during the battle that the elves leapt over the people with the shields, and also when the dwarves charged out into the battle!!

^^^ I loved both those scenes.  The first was just so unexpected! You think Thranduil's just going to leave all those dwarves to be killed, then suddenly you discover his Elves have already made a battle plan with them!

LOL, Legolas and Tauriel DID seem to be on the neenja side.  I liked their fighting style, because it was so graceful and quick, which is what you'd expect from elves.  After all, both of them were probably fighting for WELL over a hundred years a piece, so woe unto them if they haven't mastered the art by that time. Razz LOL!

OH!  And this sounds silly, but I liked that moment in TBFA when Legolas RAN OUT OF ARROWS.  That was so realistic (and maddening), because, well, you never see him run out of arrows in the other films. Razz

Dalu
THE GLITTERING MODERATOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Not Em on Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:32 pm

Just came back from the movie. Far more than I was expecting. Emotions everywhere. Not perfect, but far closer to it than I was expecting after the original cut of DoS. Very few complaints.

Regarding Gandalf vs. Galadriel, Galadriel was very clearly drawing on Nenya to fight Sauron. Gandalf was relying on his own magic, and perhaps didn't want to expose to Sauron that he had a Ring. Also the fact that the Three were together when Nenya was used might have amplified it?

Resident CanuckMadman

Location : I still remember all the glittering lights on Corsucant. Very pretty. Can we go back there, master?
Lego ID : HK-47
Humor : Commentary: I mean... nice human, goo-oood human...

View user profile http://Eurobricks, LEGO, Brickset... so on, so forth...

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalu on Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:03 am

Glen,
  Glad you liked it!

I did seem to notice that Galadriel MIGHT have been drawing from the others' powers, in addition to Nenya.  IDK, but when she finished sending Sauron packing, Elrond at  least and maybe Saruman suddenly lurched like they had awoken from some sort of...trance thing?  COuld have just been the fact that they were awed but I sort of got the impression she was drawing from their powers, too. 
   If we want to be book-savvy, we'd point out that Galadriel would NEVER have exposed Nenya to Sauron like that, because in FotR its mentioned that Sauron suspected that she had a ring but wasn't sure.  As far as I remember, she, Elrond, and Gandalf were bent at that time on keeping the locations of the Three secret.
  But oh, well.  It didn't happen like that in the film and we can't change it.  It was still a great film. Very Happy

Dalu
THE GLITTERING MODERATOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone-Star on Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:26 pm

Cap'n Pie:

Well, I suppose you're right about Gandalf being limited in his powers...the Valar didn't want the Istari to use all the power they truly possessed as incarnated Maiar. I mean, for example, it would have been pretty bad if Saruman had full access to his Maiar powers in Middle-earth: then you would have had two evil Maiar--Saruman and Sauron--fighting each other for dominion over Middle-earth, ultimately ending in the destruction of it, to be sure. Razz Still I think that Gandalf's powers were underrated. I mean, consider the fact that the first time Gandalf visited Dol Guldur, the spirit of Sauron actually fled from him (cf. Tolkien). That ought to show something about the power of Gandalf...either that, or Sauron was really counting on secrecy and didn't want Gandalf to find out who he really was just yet. Even if Gandalf's powers weren't underrated in the BotFA, you must admit that the scene in RotK in which Gandalf's staff was broken by the Witch King was clearly an underrating of Mithrandir's powers and very much in contrast with the actual event/impressions given by Tolkien in the book.

Regarding Galadriel's powers, I didn't really have that much of a problem with them after all. I mean, seriously, a lady trained by Melian is gonna have some POWUH!!!! Wink And now that you mention it, it was kind of silly for her to be gasping about on the ground...though I thought it was a nice touch of realism all the same. Razz

You will have to give me a direct quote, however, for me to believe that Galadriel destroyed Dol Guldur single-handedly. Razz
Lone-Star
Chicken Lord, 1st Class

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ¬ on Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:15 pm

Just saw it. Too lazy to write a long review thing. Razz 

I thought it was pretty good but as OP stated (also, hi MD Razz ) there were plot points that I wanted resolved.

the acorn scene was amaze

and why do both BARD AND GANDALF TRUST ALFRID WHAT
¬
Phase 2 Assimilation
Phase 2 Assimilation

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalu on Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:06 pm

Harold,
   YES, there are unresolved things!  I noticed that, too.  For instance, THE ARKENSTONE!  That was a huge issue in the film, but they left it in the air who got it in the end (unless I TOTALLY missed something).  Only someone who read The Hobbit would know that they buried the stone with Thorin under the Mountain.  (I'll bet they'll do an extended scene with that or something.) 
   Also, what happens to Tauriel?  Does she go back with Thranduil or just she does wander off?

LOL, now I understand Gandalf trusting him--or really, not MIStrusting him.  Well, he didn't know how Alfred was really like, because he only got on the scene late in the game.  I guess Bard was giving Alfred another chance, but he gave him responsibilities he certainly wasn't worthy of.  Suspect

Dalu
THE GLITTERING MODERATOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Pie on Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:28 pm

@Rooster:

I didn't mention RoTK, but I DEFINITELY would agree with you on that scene, considering Gandalf (as the White, no less) wielded a lot of power and authority in that time period. IMO, it was rather ridiculous on PJ's part to establish the Witch-King as an entity beyond Gandalf's might.

And regarding Galadriel, yes, I do agree her meandering on the ground was extremely silly. Realistic? Perhaps, perhaps not. I have several ideas as to why she would be so drained in that scene, and most of them end with Nenya.

And, to cite a source on my statement on Galadriel in Dol Guldur:

"Though grievous harm was done to the fair woods on the borders, the assaults were driven back; and when the Shadow passed, Celeborn came forth and led the host of Lórien over Anduin in many boats. They took Dol Guldur, and Galadriel threw down its walls and laid bare its pits, and the forest was cleansed." (Appendix B of RoTK)

Of course, that last sentence leaves quite a bit to the imagination, but I don't find the idea of Galadriel drawing upon her power to destroy the foundations of the fortress too far fetched. But it does mention Celeborn and his forces came to aid Mirkwood (I'm assuming the "borders" mentioned are that of Mirkwood's) and they eventually came to drive Sauron's armies back to Dol Guldur. So, Galadriel did not "single-handedly" accomplish the destruction of Sauron's position in Dol Guldur, but her feat of "laying down its walls and laying bare its pits" are clearly ascribed to her. Whether it was arcane power, or some other force, (or if we want to take this literally and say she commanded the destruction of the fortress, but it doesn't imply this anywhere, so it's a bit sketchy) Galadriel certainly did it.
Captain Pie
Anime Elf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalu on Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:47 pm

Pie,
  On your last comment, I think I remember that part.  What I don't understand is that it's elsewhere said that the White Council drove Sauron from Dol Guldur.
  Wait...was that another time??  I have it in my head he was driven out twice at LEAST.  *needs to go back and read Unfinished Tales again*

Dalu
THE GLITTERING MODERATOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone-Star on Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:32 pm

@Cap'n Pie:

When it comes to Middle-earth, Tolkien's words are scripture. Thou hast answered me right well with the weapon of his work. *bows in respect for Tolkien's words* Wink
Lone-Star
Chicken Lord, 1st Class

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomEncounter on Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:53 pm

Okay okay I didn't read all the comments, and I won't go into a full exposition now, but here are a few things.

First, let's establish something-- I apparently have no soul, because I felt nothing in this film. Every single scene that was supposed to be suspenseful (there were way too many of those, which is a flaw in itself), was totally ruined by poor directing, over-done cliches and general predictability. Even the scene of Thorin's death, while it was sort of well done, was overshadowed by one main thing-- WHAT WAS WRONG WITH THE BOOK'S VERSION? How hard would have possibly been to choreograph the battle so that it corresponded even remotely with the book? You could have had the same scene, just as heartfelt, with characters you cared about, just like the book had it, with Bilbo being called into the tent after NOT HAVING SEEN Thorin since being kicked out of Erebor (that's more of that suspense-killing going on) for Thorin's last apology and final words. There are other problems with that whole battle scene (forgetting the fact that Azog is supposed to be dead and the fact that he's alive ruins any bit of suspense right off the bat), but Iw on't go into them now for the sake of time.

I recant this opinion. Razz 

I'll make this my last point because writing about this frustrates me-- Orc heads. THat's right, orc heads. Not only do orc heads come off like badly taped doll heads, they apparently also have no blood in them. You can punch an orc in the face, and if you're a main character, it'll just come right off and you don't have to deal with any mess. It's not just heads, for that matter-- I saw at least three orcs die from mysteriously deadly hamstring attacks. Yep, just go ahead and cut their heels, and BAM, once they hit the ground, they're down for the count. Their heads might even come off, who knows? All I'm saying is that the orcs presented no threat at all to the heroes. At no point in the movie was there any suspense coming from the orcs or at all, and the only time I cared about them was when they were killing the dwarves simply because, CGI though they might be, the dwarf army was pretty epic. Way more epic than the elves, just from the battle cries and formations and stuff. I don't want no sissy elves at my back, give me a dwarf legion any day. There should have been more, though, but I guess they went over budge for CGI render time with Dain. xD

Oh, I almost forgot--the cringe-worthy love triangle's painful, groaning conclusion. I'm being completely honest when I say that I've interacted with 13-year-old girls who deal with middle school crushes far more maturely than Tauriel acted at any point in this movie. Actually, more maturely than Tauriel OR Legolas did. They both acted like spoiled brats, whining and crying about the movie's distorted version of love. I wanted to smack them both in the face and tell them to act their age-- honestly, they're both several hundred years old. This is not the first time they should be dealing with love, and there is certainly no reason for Tauriel to undermine hundreds of years of personality and thousands of years of prejudice against dwarves in a few minutes of interaction, to the point where she's willing to die for a dwarf against every single precedent since the Second Age.

*cough* Razz 

Please note that I did NOT analyze this entirely from the book's perspective. I disliked this movie not JUST for its deviation from the book (which alone made me dislike it intensely), but for its overall poor quality as a film. Also note that I did NOT mention the fact that Beorn had about a three-second cameo when he was supposed to basically be a sixth army all to himself, turning the tide of the battle and killing Bolg. Because if I mention that, I could go on for several paragraphs. Razz

Last edited by Lord Grinch on Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
RandomEncounter
This Rank Is Better Than Yours

Lego ID : You can probably guess.
Humor : "Please enjoy the annual Aegis Tower Fireworks, Explosives, and Concussive Blasts display. Remember, do not, at any point, no matter how aggressive the display, declare any point in the display, "The Finale," as Aegis Tower will likely take this as a challenge." --SAYER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Not Em on Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:00 pm

I agree with you about the orc heads and Beorn and nothing else xD

Resident CanuckMadman

Location : I still remember all the glittering lights on Corsucant. Very pretty. Can we go back there, master?
Lego ID : HK-47
Humor : Commentary: I mean... nice human, goo-oood human...

View user profile http://Eurobricks, LEGO, Brickset... so on, so forth...

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top