LegoZone Power
Welcome to the island of Elzeep, a LEGO fan forum created by Pikmin0207! Please login or register to post messages. Nardeeps laugh

CHEEEEEEEEEEESE! Cheezy Grin

Star Wars Episode VII Official Trailer

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Star Wars Episode VII Official Trailer

Post by Not Em on Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:58 pm

...what? That is blatantly incorrect. Female soldiers can fight just as well as male soldiers. I'm sure there's a few who can fight better than the average male soldier, and vice versa. There's nothing saying women can't fight. Joan of Arc, Artemisia I, the Amazons, Spartan women were trained to defend the homefront against attackers and succeeded in doing so multiple times, the Bible mentions Deborah and Jael in the same story, I could go on forever. And I mean, this isn't breaking ground for SW. Leia and Padme fought frequently, nevermind Mara Jade, Jaina Solo, Tahiri Veila...

Star Wars VII features a female stormtrooper commander because why not? If anything, we need more epic female commanders in fiction. This is nothing but good.

Resident CanuckMadman

Location : I still remember all the glittering lights on Corsucant. Very pretty. Can we go back there, master?
Lego ID : HK-47
Humor : Commentary: I mean... nice human, goo-oood human...

View user profile http://Eurobricks, LEGO, Brickset... so on, so forth...

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomEncounter on Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:01 pm

...so, exactly like the Sith already were, except for a tiny handful of years between the rise of the Empire and the Battle of Endor? xD Palpatine built two lightsabers just fine, and so did Darth Maul and Darth Tyranus. Razz 

Well that stormtrooper, who's apparently female, has different, silvery armor with a cape and stuff, but nothing particularly feminine. If anything, it looks reminiscent of a Shadow Trooper, even though they aren't using Expanded Universe.

I just didn't understand your immediate outcry over the mention of a female trooper, when it's perfectly normal and likely that a good bit of the Imperial ranks are female humans. xD

Now, I wouldn't go quite that far, Leg. It's just simple fact that men are typically physically bigger, stronger, and faster than women, that's just how the world works. As such, men DO make better soldiers. I'm not saying it's bad to have female troopers, but it IS simple logic that most soldiers would be male. Razz 

Speaking of which, one thing I really hope they keep from the EU is the Empire's intense xenophobia. It was kind of a defining characteristic of Star Wars-- the Empire was black-and-white and humans-only, and the Rebels were a hugely diverse mix of different alien species. Obviously that was a continuation of the link between the Empire and the (racist to the same degree as the Empire's xenophobia) Nazis, but I hope they realize what a strong part of the Empire's "personality" that is, and keep it. Razz
RandomEncounter
This Rank Is Better Than Yours

Lego ID : You can probably guess.
Humor : "Please enjoy the annual Aegis Tower Fireworks, Explosives, and Concussive Blasts display. Remember, do not, at any point, no matter how aggressive the display, declare any point in the display, "The Finale," as Aegis Tower will likely take this as a challenge." --SAYER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariklego on Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:58 pm

To point out, the Empire, at least in the EU, was just as much against female troopers, officers, etc. as they were non-humans. Razz And while I don't expect them to stick to EU at all, if they did in this one detail then they could just as easily add alien Stormies as they could female ones.

For that matter, in the EU, the Imperial Remnant late in its history technically did begin recruiting from both because they were so short on personnel. Seeing as the Imps in the new movie could easily be in the same state (assuming Disney's decided to follow the same logic that the EU did), it'd make sense that they'd be a bit less selective on who they recruited.
Ariklego
Slightly Weird
Slightly Weird

Lego ID : ariklego
Humor : The majority of fruit species have comparable aerodynamic properties to the genus Musa when hurled or otherwise propelled through a standard earth-like atmosphere. Buzz buzz.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Not Em on Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:56 pm

I mean, that's not true, as the Empire has several recorded female officers and soldiers, but whatever. Also, being physically bigger has fairly little to do with being a soldier when you consider how little physical combat actually takes place. It's usually over a distance.

Resident CanuckMadman

Location : I still remember all the glittering lights on Corsucant. Very pretty. Can we go back there, master?
Lego ID : HK-47
Humor : Commentary: I mean... nice human, goo-oood human...

View user profile http://Eurobricks, LEGO, Brickset... so on, so forth...

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalu on Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:20 pm

Andy,
  You killed my rogue argument.  Good job. LOL I was just testing you, and yes this whole sentence is a huge lie.

Dalu
THE GLITTERING MODERATOR

Lego ID : Dalu50

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariklego on Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:04 pm

Leg: Like who? I know Daala, Isard, Mara Jade, and the one lady that made the ISD design.

And to be technical, only Daala was actually a member of the military proper. Isard was in Intelligence, Mara Jade was one of the Emperor's Hands (which now that I say that there were a few other female Hands), and whatsername was part of KDY, not the Empire per se.

Furthermore, in Daala's backstory, she was kept from ranking up in the Academy because she was a woman. The only reason she became an Admiral was because Tarkin took notice of her skill and promoted her more or less in secret. Razz
Ariklego
Slightly Weird
Slightly Weird

Humor : The majority of fruit species have comparable aerodynamic properties to the genus Musa when hurled or otherwise propelled through a standard earth-like atmosphere. Buzz buzz.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomEncounter on Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:07 pm

If that sentence is a lie, are you lying about lying? Or were you NOT testing me, and the second part was true but also false?
RandomEncounter

Humor : "Please enjoy the annual Aegis Tower Fireworks, Explosives, and Concussive Blasts display. Remember, do not, at any point, no matter how aggressive the display, declare any point in the display, "The Finale," as Aegis Tower will likely take this as a challenge." --SAYER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alien_Ant2 on Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:40 pm

@leg: bigger has alot to do with it, as the bigger you go the bigger you get, there are of course exceptions, you can have a 3 foot body builder that's stronger than a 400 pound couch potato who's 6'2", and stronger means alot. Alot of "stronger" also is not so much "I can lift more than you" so much as it is "I can lift longer than you", or "I can carry more equipment farther than you". There's more natural stamina in guys than in gals. and stamina is a huge part of any battle. Being able to still hold your rifle steady is kinda important.  God just designed guys to be more fit for fighting than girls. That's not to say girls can't fight, guys just (as a whole) can do it better.
Alien_Ant2
Muffin Keeper
Muffin Keeper

Lego ID : Alien_Ant2
Humor : A storm trooper and a redshirt got into a fight. The stormtrooper missed, but the redshirt died anyways.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomEncounter on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:03 pm

^Exactly, Ant. There are also studies I've seen showing that women can't psychologically handle war nearly as well as men, that's just not what they're built for. Razz
RandomEncounter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalu on Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:19 pm

Andrew,
   I'm not lying that I was lying, only that I was honest enough to say I lied, which means my lie died by a confession of truth, which means I sorta lied and sorta didn't, seeing as I how I confessed. 

And I totally believe this statement:

women can't psychologically handle war nearly as well as men, that's just not what they're built for.

If I cry over seeing someone die in a film...just...anyway. Yes. Razz  I know there are girls not as soft as me, but most of us are that soft or even softer.  I sound like I'm describing soft serve ice cream...

ANYWAY!!

HAS ANYONE GOT ANY MORE INFO ON WHETHER LUKE IS STILL GOOD OR NOT???

Dalu
THE GLITTERING MODERATOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone-Star on Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:21 pm

INSERT LOTR QUOTE IN RELATION TO WHETHER OR NOT WOMEN CAN HANDLE WAR AS WELL AS MEN:

Eomer wrote:War is the province of men, Eowyn.

Need I say more?

Cheezy Grin 

(Let me say, however, that any woman who will fight to the death to defend her family or her country is to be highly praised.)
Lone-Star
Chicken Lord, 1st Class

Lego ID : scarecrow535
Humor : Lemme ask you just one question: I THINK YOU'RE LYING!!! --A Bad Lawyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomEncounter on Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:09 pm

You wouldn't be very good at debates, using random quotes from fictional characters in a fantasy series. xD
RandomEncounter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone-Star on Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:27 pm

Thou hast not tested my true debating powers...thou hast no authority to make such a proclamation. Razz
Lone-Star
Chicken Lord, 1st Class

Lego ID : scarecrow535
Humor : Lemme ask you just one question: I THINK YOU'RE LYING!!! --A Bad Lawyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalu on Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:58 pm

using random quotes from fictional characters in a fantasy series. xD

^^ ROFL!

Okay, lads, again let's keep this on topic.  It's swerved a bit much into a rather behaved debate on women in war.  I pledge to say no more about this myself, for I am also guilty. Razz LOL

Anyone who says more about this will be put into the Cone of Shame... Suspect
(Someone get a .gif for that.) Razz

Dalu
THE GLITTERING MODERATOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomEncounter on Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:26 pm

Again with the off-topic stuff. IT DOESN'T MATTER xD
RandomEncounter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariklego on Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:49 pm

*Puts cone on Supe* Razz

http://i.imgur.com/0KQJx.jpg
Ariklego
Slightly Weird
Slightly Weird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomEncounter on Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:55 pm

I'd just like to mention that as far as all the off-topic stuff goes, Kayla is right and I'm wrong, so, sorry about that. Razz
RandomEncounter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalu on Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:49 pm

^^^

You see what the Cone of Shame can do? 

BEWARE!!!!

Razz!!! LOL

Dalu
THE GLITTERING MODERATOR

View user profile