LegoZone Power
Welcome to the island of Elzeep, a LEGO fan forum created by Pikmin0207! Please login or register to post messages. Nardeeps laugh

CHEEEEEEEEEEESE! Cheezy Grin

Star Wars Episode VII Official Trailer

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Star Wars Episode VII Official Trailer

Post by Ariklego on Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:48 am

Yeah, I'm basically over it too. Razz I expected the EU to get tossed from the beginning. There's no way any good film director would just recycle an existing plot from the EU like that, and even if he did it'd probably not be well-received if there was the slightest deviation. And if it matched whatever book(s) or other EU sources it came from, it'd be unoriginal. Razz
...Soo yeah, I'm fine with a fresh story and all that.

Haaaving said that, I'd still like if they borrowed the occasional element from the EU. Kinda like how George Lucas did sometimes when making the Prequels (for example Coruscant, the Emperor being called Palpatine, etc.).
...I'd especially love if they'd brought in the E-Wing instead of making that new dorky-looking X-Wing design with the weird wings. Razz

I dunno about CGI. I agree on that, but I also think CGI works well too sometimes. Take Phantom Menace, for example. They did a stunning job on the movie's scenery and such, and it wasn't long ago at all that I realized just how much of it was solid CGI. But I dunno. As long as it looks good and they don't try to plot with action *CoughRoTScoughCough* I'll be happy.

Change of subject sorta, but what if they actually did steal one element from the EU- what if the possibly-a-Jedi protagonist girl, as well as the Sith fella, are actually Jacen/Jaina Solo or something like that? Razz I dunno if the filmmakers would actually be willing to borrow a huge element like that from the books, but it's probably the most plausible option short of making them completely from scratch.
Ariklego
Slightly Weird
Slightly Weird

Lego ID : ariklego
Humor : The majority of fruit species have comparable aerodynamic properties to the genus Musa when hurled or otherwise propelled through a standard earth-like atmosphere. Buzz buzz.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zint Fazer on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:42 am

El Evil Emperor of Elzeep wrote:Take Phantom Menace, for example. They did a stunning job on the movie's scenery and such, and it wasn't long ago at all that I realized just how much of it was solid CGI. But I dunno.
No.
Zint Fazer
Muffin Keeper
Muffin Keeper

Lego ID : rezaFtinZ (But backwards)
Humor : I make funny jokes.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomEncounter on Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:39 pm

^^^^^^^

just....

...NO.
RandomEncounter
This Rank Is Better Than Yours

Lego ID : You can probably guess.
Humor : "Please enjoy the annual Aegis Tower Fireworks, Explosives, and Concussive Blasts display. Remember, do not, at any point, no matter how aggressive the display, declare any point in the display, "The Finale," as Aegis Tower will likely take this as a challenge." --SAYER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariklego on Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:52 pm

...I mean that it's good for twenty years ago. It obviously doesn't stand up perfectly to the stuff of today. Razz

But seriously:
Spoiler:
Until maybe a year ago I had no idea that the whole thing had so much CGI. I could certainly never have pulled that off, especially with mid-90s technology. Razz
Ariklego
Slightly Weird
Slightly Weird

Humor : The majority of fruit species have comparable aerodynamic properties to the genus Musa when hurled or otherwise propelled through a standard earth-like atmosphere. Buzz buzz.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomEncounter on Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:15 pm

I try not to complain about the CGI too much. Lucas always tried to use the best technology he could possibly get his hands on, even when that was really, really bad CGI. Like I said, for Ep IV, he hired companies to INVENT things for the movie because the technology for his movie didn't exist yet. He was a visionary back then, and didn't realize that he could never do that well again until he had trashed Ep I-III. He finally realized what he was doing to the franchise and sold it to Disney. Razz
RandomEncounter

Humor : "Please enjoy the annual Aegis Tower Fireworks, Explosives, and Concussive Blasts display. Remember, do not, at any point, no matter how aggressive the display, declare any point in the display, "The Finale," as Aegis Tower will likely take this as a challenge." --SAYER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariklego on Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:38 pm

Okay, to make my point, my mom and I used to discuss whether or not the Battle Droids in Episode I were actual robots (like R2) or if they somehow used actors (such as in C-3PO's case). Razz

Anyway, I'm getting off topic I guess. Razz
Yeah, I'm pretty excited for the new movies too, and the fresh ideas and such that new filmmakers will no doubt come up with. And as to deviating from the EU, I figure I'll just treat it like I do in similar cases (for example LOTR/The Hobbit or Narnia)- expect them to not follow it in the least, and give them bonus points when they actually do. Razz

...Now, what I am worried about is whether or not Disney can come up with a good storyline for it. As it is, the trailer didn't really look like anything that hasn't been done a bazillion times before, which is a tad disappointing, even for Disney.
Not that the Prequels were really any different, but I think the goal here is for Disney to do a better job than what was done with the Prequels. Razz
Ariklego
Slightly Weird
Slightly Weird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalu on Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:12 pm

expect them to not follow it in the least, and give them bonus points when they actually do.

^^^ I think I'll adopt that view.  It's less painful.

I don't know anything outside of the actual film storyline anyway for SW, so I won't notice any book deviations in the new film. Razz

Dalu
THE GLITTERING MODERATOR

Lego ID : Dalu50

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone-Star on Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:08 pm

Re: whether or not a film series should abide by storylines/books/already-existing-references, I tend to lean more toward abiding by canon.

For example, take The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Now there was a movie that, although it had some wonderful consistencies with C.S. Lewis's book of the same name, deviated from the plot too much with its ridiculous "quest for the swords" or whatever it was cheesily dubbed. It's canon-deviation like that that turns my stomach.

HOWEVER

There are plenty of circumstances in which I have greatly admired plot deviation (merely because of the good theatrical effects they produced). For example, take Peter Jackson's non-canonical conflict between Thorin Oakenshield and Azog the Defiler in The Hobbit trilogy. Although, in J.R.R. Tolkien's books, Azog and Thorin never had such confrontations (in fact, Azog was long dead by the time the events of The Hobbit took place), the use of Azog by Jackson produced some epic moments within the trilogy.

These examples given, I offer this opinion about the new SW film:

Let's hope it sticks to the original saga in the major areas, and if it deviates here or there, heck with it, it's under new management and changes will happen. Razz
Lone-Star
Chicken Lord, 1st Class

Lego ID : scarecrow535
Humor : Lemme ask you just one question: I THINK YOU'RE LYING!!! --A Bad Lawyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomEncounter on Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:27 pm

I agree that plot deviations can be used well. Your example made me throw up in my mouth a little bit, though. Best to stick to movies that haven't defiled all that is pure and holy, my friend.

The nice thing about this new movie is that there isn't anything to stick to. I'm actually totally confused as to what you mean by that. SW is an unfinished story, and Abrams can literally do anything he wants with it, because it's yet to be written.

...the way you talk about it makes it sound like you think SW is based on a book series, or they're remaking the original trilogy. You know this is a sequel trilogy, right? xD
RandomEncounter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alien_Ant2 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:35 am

Uhh...they did write books about after the trilogy...... And I still think that the movie should be 100% based on that and even though people might complain about "lack of originality" oh well! Shouldn't have picked something where the storyline of that universe was already written out. I for one would love to see a movie where it actually doesn't deviate from the books for once.
Alien_Ant2
Muffin Keeper
Muffin Keeper

Lego ID : Alien_Ant2
Humor : A storm trooper and a redshirt got into a fight. The stormtrooper missed, but the redshirt died anyways.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomEncounter on Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:49 am

Those books were written by fans to fill in the universe. Lucas may have granted them legitimacy as canon, but that was forfeited when he sold it to Disney, as he should have done long ago. And when I say long ago, I mean the day he decided to direct Episode I. Razz 

Most fans have come to grips with the fact that they're not following EU. The EU is fanfiction, no matter how you look at it, and most people have decided that they'll still love and read the EU, but they'll also enjoy the movies for what they are.

I was more confused by Scare's hope that it'll "stick to the original saga," it sounds like he thinks they're remaking the movies.

...though I would NOT have a problem with remaking Ep I, II, and maybe III. xD
RandomEncounter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alien_Ant2 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:30 pm

Ep I might use some tweaking, II and III are fine....other than clones hip-firing their blasters and teh droids and clones clashing in a massive Napoleon style battle instead of using more advanced tactics, such as we see in III. III is awesome. Razz
Alien_Ant2
Muffin Keeper
Muffin Keeper

Humor : A storm trooper and a redshirt got into a fight. The stormtrooper missed, but the redshirt died anyways.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomEncounter on Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:03 pm

...have you SEEN Ep II? It's essentially a sitcom with one okay battle scene. Razz 

III is the only one of the prequels that I watch when I do a SW marathon. It's widely accepted that when you do a SW marathon, you start at III and sum up I and II to anyone who hasn't seen them with, "they find a kid and he's super powerful and there was a big battle."
RandomEncounter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone-Star on Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:58 pm

To clear up Campbell's confusions... Razz

I simply meant that I hope they don't tweak the original saga in any references to the past. Like say, Luke is training this Jedi girl and tells her about the time he met old Billy Bar-Soapy (instead of Ben Kenobi). Humorous example to make a point, of course. Razz

And I still don't understand why you hate Ep. I. Razz

Now Ep. II is a different story. That was just a mild soap opera with a few skirmishes. Razz

Now Ep. III is the best SW movie ever. That's my opinion, of course, but I think Lucas went out with a bang. Wink
Lone-Star
Chicken Lord, 1st Class

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariklego on Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:20 pm

Episode I is just kinda dull, and nobody knows exactly quite what the plotline is for it. Razz Oh, and of course there's Anakin/Jar Jar. Razz 

Episode II is better than that! Razz So the Anakin-Padme romance was lame, but I love all the intrigue in it that sets up the Clone Wars. And in my opinion all the Geonosis action is the best of all the movies as far as ground-based combat goes (I also like the Battle of Coruscant and Battle of Endor).

And no, the best one is Ep. V. Razz Ol' Georgie did such a splendid job on the story for it that even people who couldn't care less about SW consider it one of the best plots ever.

Ep. III is decent. The battles are cool and flashy (though I personally think the duel on Mustafar was a little overdone), and the story's not bad. Despite that, Anakin's whiny-idiot-ness shines brighter than ever, he's manipulated WAY too easily by Palps, and Lucas sorta just tried to connect the Prequels to the OT too... quickly.
...Which isn't to say I didn't still tear up at the end of the movie the first time I watched it. Razz
Ariklego
Slightly Weird
Slightly Weird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomEncounter on Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:28 pm

Ah. Well, that would kind of defeat the entire purpose of continuing the saga. There's no real worry that they'll deviate from what's already there, only that they'll not do the series justice.

Episode 1 has Jar Jar Binks, the horrifying "acting" by that kid who plays baby Anakin, the horrifying "acting" by Natalie Portman, WAY too much terrible CGI, and poorly written lines because Lucas was really, really bad at writing.

Episode 2 showed that terrible writing even more, as Lucas took the poor actor Natalie Portman, the terrible actor Hayden Christiansen, and told them to go into a scene that was already horribly awkward, and ad lib everything. The fact that he did this because his own lines were just too bad to put in a movie says something about how bad it could have been, because the result was truly terrible.

Episode 3 was--WHAT?? You DARE insinuate that III is better than any of the original trilogy?! I BITE MY THUMB AT THEE, SIR, FOR THOU'RT A KNAVE INDEED. III was the only tolerable movie of the prequels. It had some pretty cool battle scenes, and did a fair job of setting the stage for IV, as well as killing off Anakin, the most annoying SW character ever besides old Jar Jar. Lucas had sort-of learned his lesson about over-CGI-ing a movie, and even though there was still a lot lacking, the movie did a pretty good overall job of capturing the spirit of Star Wars like I and II couldn't possibly come close to. Still, Lucas had to eventually realize that he had peaked at Episode V, and though he took years to do it, eventually realized that it was all downhill for him and sold it to Disney, which I think was one of the best things to happen to the franchise since the Thrawn Trilogy.
RandomEncounter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Not Em on Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:27 pm

I beg to differ about Episode 1's CGI. Phantom Menace has some top CGI. It blends a million times better than some of the stuff that comes out now. Recent CGI has pretty explosions, but they're very obviously CGI'd explosions. Phantom Menace did a million times better at making CGI look real. 

Also, Natalie Portman isn't that terrible an actress. It's really more the script than anything. And they weren't ad libbed, I don't know where you got that from.

I don't know how you can think Lucas learned his CGI lesson in 3, 3 was the most over the top of them all. Every single shot had huge swathes of CGI. It was terrible. 90% of that movie is fake.

Resident CanuckMadman

Location : I still remember all the glittering lights on Corsucant. Very pretty. Can we go back there, master?
Lego ID : HK-47
Humor : Commentary: I mean... nice human, goo-oood human...

View user profile http://Eurobricks, LEGO, Brickset... so on, so forth...

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomEncounter on Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:38 pm

I said "sort of" learned his lesson, but I'll admit it's been awhile and my memory could very well be skewed.

Portman got better later, yes, but even if it was the script's fault, her character was almost as unconvincing and annoying as Anakin's. It wasn't all ad libbed, I was referring to the awkward flirting dinner scene and one or two other places where Lucas reportedly had them ad lib their relationship, because he couldn't come up with good flirty lines.
RandomEncounter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alien_Ant2 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:59 am

@supe:
Supe wrote:I BITE MY THUMB AT THEE, SIR, FOR THOU'RT A KNAVE INDEED.

Spoiler:

Yes, they had lots of CGI, because Lucas knew that not all aliens could be just humans with pointy ears or muscled foreheads. I for one highly enjoyed the CGI of II and III, and most of it from I. I think the story is great in the prequels personally. Yeah I has problems and the romance from II doesn't really draw people in, the fact that there was a romance and it screws alot of stuff up is still important to III, IV, V, and VI, and sets them all up to be great. I agree that maybe it was done too quickly, but it's really not that bad. The actions scenes are awesome, not really sure how you think Mustafar was over done, it was a great climatic ending. Of course anytime you have something really dramatic and climatic it's "overdone" if the viewer hasn't been drawn into the story and the action, which happens if you fret over anakin's awkward flirting from II, but if you skip that an enjoy the rest of the story it's really pretty awesome, and so is the rest of III.

And II had two epic battle scenes, not one. Geonosis and Kamino. Razz

Oh, and III has a ton of lightsaber fights, if for no other reason, it's amazing because of that. Razz
Alien_Ant2
Muffin Keeper
Muffin Keeper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariklego on Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:49 am

I'm fine with the CGI generally.
    Usually the worst complaints I can come up with are realism and how "old" it looks. III has a tough time with the realism thing (WHY, during the battle of Coruscant, do NONE of the ships have deflector shields?!).
    And as to "old-looking", it'll probably end up hitting II and IV the worst. Ep. IV mostly just because Lucas didn't try hard enough not to follow the aesthetics of other Space Opera settings from the time (Good thing we had Ralph McQuarrie and the others, as well as bunches of WW-era props, to prevent it from completely overpowering SW Razz), and the Ep. II's is also a bit rough, whether it be the weird fin-things on the Clone Trooper helmets, a similar look permeating other Republic vehicles and stuff, Dexter's Diner, and so on that looks like it crash-landed in the SW universe aboard a flying saucer that escaped from the mid-Twentieth-century. Razz

Now, I actually kinda don't mind Hayden Christiansen's acting. He didn't do half bad with what he was given in my opinion. What made Anakin a lame actor?
HIS LINES. http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0244573/quotes <-Find ONE good line in all that. Suspect
Ariklego
Slightly Weird
Slightly Weird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone-Star on Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:11 pm

Personally, I thought Christiansen did a great job in Ep. III, especially when he turned to the dark side. He played the part of an angry, arrogant villain VERY well. Razz

I'll admit that the boy-Anakin and Jar-Jar in Ep. I were annoying; and I personally think that Jar-Jar was corny; but honestly I think the strong points of the movie outweighed the weak links.

In Ep. II, I think that, if you eliminate all the romance between Anakin and Padme, you have a very nice story. Wink
Lone-Star
Chicken Lord, 1st Class

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalu on Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:52 pm

I think the strong points of the movie outweighed the weak links.

^^^
The strong points being Ewan McGregor, Samuel Jackson, Frank Oz, and Liam Neeson. 

And Palpatine. Razz

Dalu
THE GLITTERING MODERATOR

Lego ID : Dalu50

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NinjaMailman on Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:51 pm

I always thought Jar-jar was meant to be an annoying psychotic upright-walking frog. Razz I mean, his people needed a reason to hate him, right? Suspect I think in some ways I may be slightly over-accepting of (most) movies, but I really can't understand why people are so critical. I see the SW universe as Lucas' work, and that he made the movies the way he wanted them to be. I just try to enjoy movies for what they are. Popcorn Honestly, I can't remember the last time I was disappointed in a movie. I know I'm in the minority, though, because I've yet to come across anyone who sees movies the same way. Razz

Spoiler:
NinjaMailman
Elzeep Psychologist

Humor : *Awkward silence*

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone-Star on Sat May 02, 2015 9:12 pm

I usually try to see the good in movies I watch. I analyze them to see whether or not their good points outweigh their bad points. But most of all, I look for good morals. Those are what make movies worthwhile at their core (though good acting, good plots, and good theatrical technology definitely help!).

Even so, there are some movies that I have watched that are utterly deplorable and worthless in my sight. The most worthless, morally bankrupt, horrible movies I've ever watched are Where the Wild Things Are (ooooooooh how I hated that bratty kid and his totally weird-looking companions) and Autumn (just a stupid movie about 99.99999% of the human population turning into dog-eating zombies and the 0.00001% normal humans running for their lives).

When compared to the above flicks, every single SW movie ever made by Lucas is brilliant, no matter how many weakpoints each one had!
Lone-Star
Chicken Lord, 1st Class

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomEncounter on Sun May 03, 2015 9:19 am

I analyze everything I watch, whether it's a movie or football. I don't care if it's art, or someone else's vision, I'm the intended audience and is supposed to entertain me. If it doesn't, I'm not happy, because I paid to be entertained. That's capitalism right there, and by golly I'll stick to it. Razz 

A movie has to be well-made, well-directed, and well-acted to be a good movie. It doesn't matter how many great morals they have, if the movie is poorly made, I'm not going to acclaim it, because I'm a discerning audience member. xD
RandomEncounter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top